I'm lost *Windows 2000* Install

Im Sorry I Didnt Say Bitch
Someones On My Acc! Guys Really Im Sorry

I was @ my friends house today and never logged off, thats my friend that said that!

LLPage.jpg

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;861814 said:
Well some of you were correct with your bad PS/2 input theory. I got a straight PS/2 input keyboard from a tech at work and upon boot the computer says error 384 keyboard or system error. It doesn't display that if I have a USB keyboard inserted.

I don't know if I can find a usb keyboard that it will except. Is there anyway to automatically get windows to automatically boot without a keystroke to launch the CD?

You could modify the installation of Windows 2000 using nlite from http://www.nliteos.com/

I don't know that this would fully solve your problem though, as by the time it reaches the point to talk about formatting the hard drive, you won't be able to do anything. I doubt USB drivers would load to the point you could use a keyboard.

Unless this is a really special computer, I would just toss it. Even on newer boards, I've found USB keyboards are a pain in the ass for using in the bios. They don't seem to work 100% of the time. I always keep a PS/2 > USB adapter handy for that reason.

If it's not going to work with a straight through PS/2 keyboard it's really not worth the trouble to try and get working. Is there a possibility the PS/2 keyboard you got is broken? Otherwise, tell your dad it's trash. Whether he chooses to believe it or not, older systems will eventually go out in one way or another... Heck, go to craigslist and pickup a cheap or free older system and use that instead. It will keep you from having a lot of headaches later and it may never work no matter how much time you spend on it. Chances are it's too old to work correctly with a USB keyboard without drivers, and the drivers can't be installed without getting into the OS, but you can't get into the OS w/o a keyboard really...so it's and endless cycle of fail... :rolleyes:

Last try to me would be, try the keyboard on another system w/ a PS/2 input and see if it works. If so, that would be your cue to toss this system... If it doesn't work, get another PS/2 keyboard and pray as you press the power button...

Back
Top Bottom