Buying a router, need help please!

JAFL

Baseband Member
I have a computer with a cable modem. I would like to connect a laptop to the network using a router. What kind of router do I buy? The laptop has bluetooth. The laptop is about two years old, the computer is 4 to 5 years old.

Does the router replace the modem or work in conjuction with it? Is it best to just go through my ISP to make sure things are compatible or find something on my own?

Thanks

You would need a network switch. this would take your one connection...and split it off into several connections.

This is what you'd need,
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=000343&cid=NT.816
and no it doesn't replace the modem...it works WITH the modem.
Now if you want to connect your laptop "Wireless" then you'd need to buy a wireless router...also available everywhere.

No need to go to your ISP...as this is something very simple and doesn't require special hardware.

Hope this helps :)

Odds are just a switch won't do it. He needs something to assign the IP addresses and usually the modem does not do that. A basic Wireless G router should do you just fine. The line from your modem will go into the "Internet" or "WAN" port on the router (the name varries by companies). Then run the cable that came with the router from any of the other open ports on the router the the desktop.

Most modern routers come with a setup CD to help with the wireless setup if this is not something you are comfortable doing yourself.

As for brands, stick with either D-link or linksys.

oops...you're probably right celegorm. i didn't realize that i am using a switch...but through a wireless router. I have tried using the router with the connection straight from the modem.

Well you can get a good cheap wireless router which will do exactly what you need. and like Celegorm said, stick with D-Link or LinkSys...great brands!!

Odds are just a switch won't do it. He needs something to assign the IP addresses and usually the modem does not do that. A basic Wireless G router should do you just fine. The line from your modem will go into the "Internet" or "WAN" port on the router (the name varries by companies). Then run the cable that came with the router from any of the other open ports on the router the the desktop.

Most modern routers come with a setup CD to help with the wireless setup if this is not something you are comfortable doing yourself.

As for brands, stick with either D-link or linksys.

Thanks for the help. However, do you think I could get a 'N' router instead? I will be adding an additional new laptop in the near future. (Even though the older laptop I already have probably supports the G routers). Would there be any kind of compatibility issues with buying an N router? And is there a big difference in security between the cheaper and more expensive models? Thanks.

N would be just fine. The only reason I said G was because I didn't think you'd need anything higher. But if you plan on getting a new laptop (which will probably have N in it) then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom