Closed threads?

It didn't go to crap it was getting interesting, maybe you just the one not interested. I'll have to make a new thread to that goes off the one with the old one :) its not my hard drive space

How is September 1st to October 31st two days?

Either way to answer the OP's question threads generally get closed for a few reasons. One of which being general age. If a thread hasn't been posted in for a month it is considered off limits by forum rules. If the owner of the tread wants to update it, they should make a new thread with reference to that one.

A second reason is for repeated arguments that cleaning up the thread hasn't stopped. A fair amount of threads that I close have had arguments that have been removed, but only reappeared and it's not worth our time to keep clearing that kind of stuff out.

Thirdly, if the thread is about something that shouldn't be on a forum like ours, or it has gone to crap right from the start, it'll be closed.

Last reason is just for announcement threads that normal members shouldn't have any need to post in.
It's not September 1st to October 31st... It was bumped by J03 on the 31st of October, he is the only person allowed to break the 30 day rule as it is his own thread. And it wasnt going bad either, it was a fine discussion in it, there was still no reason to close it IMO.

You are not allowed to bring up threads dating from 30 days or more. A moderator can decide whether to close it or not if it's between 20-29 days. After, it's an automatic lock
No mention of the original poster being allowed to post after any amount of time he likes....you have made that bit up. They are davids rules..we just enforce them. Is it really that hard to respect his wishes?

You are not allowed to bring up threads dating from 30 days or more. A moderator can decide whether to close it or not if it's between 20-29 days. After, it's an automatic lock
No mention of the original poster being allowed to post after any amount of time he likes....you have made that bit up. They are davids rules..we just enforce them. Is it really that hard to respect his wishes?

yes but as with all things you can have a bit of leniancy when applying those rules and take into account each situation as it arrises and apply a bit of common sense to the situation

think what was the purpose of that rule its only to stop loads of old threads being revived by new members however in this case JO3 was simply reviving the thread to give us an update which IMO wasnt causing any harm to the forum so in this case the thread should have been left as it was the topic was fine and there was no sign of a flame war coming on as i saw it

if it had been a spammer reviing a thread simply to say oh yer i hate it when that happens or something i would have been happy for it to be closed

i find it funny how some mods are quite happy to ignore rules when it suits them such as the case of some mods and using profanity around the forum however as soon as a member questions a decision that is made its Davids rules and you guys are just following them kinda reminds me of the hypocracy of the brookfield days all over again just on a less serious basis

usually its closed because it violated something....thats what I know

yup...that basically usualy the reason. otherwise i don't think threads get closed for random reasons...or cause someone feels like it LOL :p

I'm surprised vBulletin doesn't seem to have an option to 'close' threads automatically after a certain period of time.

Another forum where I'm a member http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php does have that option and they use it. Any threads older than 30 days (I think) can no longer be replied to. The 'reply' and 'quote' buttons are removed.

I'm surprised vBulletin doesn't seem to have an option to 'close' threads automatically after a certain period of time.

Another forum where I'm a member http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php does have that option and they use it. Any threads older than 30 days (I think) can no longer be replied to. The 'reply' and 'quote' buttons are removed.

hey, that sounds like a good idea actually! +1 for u mate!!

Back
Top Bottom