Gparted?

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
how do i install Gparted in Vista?
I downloaded the regular one, and the Live one. But I never found an EXE to run or install.
any help?
thanks

ah, that explains it.
i cant install Ubuntu.
I installed Ubuntu in Windows with the Installer. When it tells me to reboot, i rebooted, load up Ubuntu, then it checks installation. Then it gives me an error about no Root File System or whatever, and it told me to fix it through partition.
How do i fix it? with the ability to dual boot with Windows.
I would start a new thread, but i think this will work for now.

should i use Gparted with the Ubuntu demo, create a partition, and install Ubuntu onto that drive in windows?

Unless you are running a virtual machine, you can't install Ubuntu on windows; Ubuntu is a whole operating system, just like windows. I think you will have to boot off of the live CD first, before you install Ubuntu.

okay, then do you know how to install it to work with my other partitions?
Last time i installed Ubuntu through installing like Windows, i tried to open my back up partition, which then asks me to authenticate to work. I dont really want to risk losing any of my files.

EDIT - trying to install on a laptop

Unless you are running a virtual machine, you can't install Ubuntu on windows; Ubuntu is a whole operating system, just like windows. I think you will have to boot off of the live CD first, before you install Ubuntu.

You can install Ubuntu inside windows. You just pop the cd in and select "Install inside windows"

If you are only going to use ubuntu for gparted I would recommend just using the live cd feature. If you want ubutnu on your computer without the cd then install it like this:

Pop in live cd, click install, manual setup partitions, resize ntfs to whatever you want, make about a 2-3gb swap partition, make the rest ext3 for Ubuntu and set mount point to /

After that you should be set. Grub will take care of the dual-booting by itself.

Back
Top Bottom