Windows XP won't boot

airforceone453

Solid State Member
I'm having a horrible time with XP. I decided today that I would update some drivers and install some windows updates. After installing drivers for my mobo and video card as well as the windows updates, I restarted my computer. After the XP splash screen comes up, it holds at a blank screen. I tried booting from my OS disk with a fresh install but it gives me a BSOD saying there's a registry error...Ideally, I would like to keep all my files and applications but if I have to then I'll format. I also tried booting into safe mode and it freezes up at the account selection screen. Any ideas?

And my system specs:
eVGA 680i mobo
eVGA 8800gt
2 gig ram
windows xp pro

Ok, well one thing you can do if ofcourse you have the hardware.

Grab an old hard drive or a spare one, un-install the one you have in the pc right now with all your files etc. and install a fresh copy of xp on that spare drive.
If you get logged in and the system runs, then shut down the pc, plug in your original drive (one with all the files) in as a "slave" if you are using IDE or just plug it in if you are using Sata and transfer your important files to an external or to the drive that has the new copy of xp.
Then just reformat the corrupt xp on that drive...get it up and running...and transfer back all your important data.

Hopefully that helps :)...if you have any more questions ask away :)

* Celegorm beat me to it LOL....well try what he said cause it would save you lots of time :)

ok, well, from the other double post, i tried the setting "from last known workign configuration". It brings me to the windows splash screen and then after it just goes blank again.

And for extra hardware, no I don't have any extra harddrives, I should though. This computer I'm on right now uses IDE connection while the other one uses sata.

Yeah my bad about the double posts lol it confused me when he locked the other one even though I told you to reply in that one, My bad. But I'm somewhat positive that it's a registry error since that's what the bsod was giving me.

So in the boot menu there's a bunch of selections:

safe mode (doesn't work)
safe mode with networking (doesn't work)
safe mode with cmd prompt (doesn't work)

enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known good configuration (doesn't work)
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure

start windows normally (doesn't work)
reboot
return to os choices menu (doesn't work)

I think all the relevant choices dont' work at all

And I'm getting kind of fed up with this. I just got my 24" monitor from newegg and wanted to test it out today with crysis :(

What's the easiest way to reformat if I can't use my OS disk?

Or how do i use the repair windows option on the OS disk? It asks for a password...which i dont have?

EDIT: I got the OS disk working, I decided to reformat everything. bye bye all my files :( Thanks for the help guys. They were some good suggestions :D

Boot up from the "last known good configuration" in F8 menu on startup or safe mode.

If you check above, he already tried that, and said it didn't work.

EDIT: I got the OS disk working, I decided to reformat everything. bye bye all my files Thanks for the help guys. They were some good suggestions

= problem solved lolz :p

Back
Top Bottom