Need advice on if I should switch computers

Sonx

Beta member
Hey,
My sister got a laptop and doesn't need her desktop anymore so I am wondering if I should switch computers. Which computer is better, I am looking more onto gaming and if It is worth the hassle of switching it even. He computer was bought a year later, but it also runs vista which i heard has bugs still and its gaming performace doesn't perform aswell as XP. I bought a new gfx card and obviously switching it if i switch.

Short version, I am wondering how much better my sister's computer's processor is and if it is worth it to switch to Windows Vista for overall performance and gaming performance.

My Computer:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Professional)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion m7170n
Processor: Intel Dual Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Processor
Memory: 3070MB RAM (Maximum to 3.0 GB)
Graphics Card: nVida GeForce 9600 GT

Her Computer:
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion m8120n
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (K) 2.4 GHz
Memory: 3 GB (Maximum to 4 GB)
Graphics Card: nVida GeForce 9600 GT

All awnsers are welcomed, more looking for awnsers from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks

Her's is much better due to it having the Q6600 Quad Core. That's a much faster and better performing CPU overall compared to your dual core Pentium 4. Gaming in Vista is just as good as with XP and you can run the most current games in all their glory using DX10.

Basically what Atomic Rooster said. It has two more cores and a much more efficient architecture than your Pentium D.

Just to add, with those rigs, you probably won't notice a difference between gaming between XP and Vista because of the Q6600. There isn't even much of a difference to begin with. Also, yeah, Vista still has a bug here and there, but it is much better now than it was when it first came out.

I would say go with the switch. You won't regret it.

You will not have any problems with Vista. The one thing I would recommend is to install SP1 if it hasn't been done so already. It includes some good fixes and improves performance a bit.

You will notice a difference if you play BF2, BF2142, or other memory-hogging games. On 2 GB RAM it would stutter more often than I liked, but 4GB took care of that. I'm not sure if it's like that with Superfetch off though.

Edit: You're on 3 GB, don't worry about it.

yeah i play counter-strike source and im hoping to get some more fps with a better processor cause i like playing with most high settings on

Back
Top Bottom