Went to look at a car

not to mention.......it's still a frigging dodge NEON.
you can polish a turd but it's still a turd.:D

It's not a Neon, it's a completely different chassis. And you can't drop a 4G63 into a Neon, which is a pretty damn good motor.

back in 91 I had a 91 Z-28 with a 5.7L (350) I drove 200 miles on a 1/2 tank. (only holds 14 gal) with 4 friends in the car and the ac going.
that's about 28mpg. v8 cars can get good mileage when you take it easy on the gas pedal. a engine that doesn't have to work hard is more efficient. a vehicle with a good power to weight ratio can get excellent gas mileage and still have the power to have some fun.

Thats such a BS claim. No way you can get 200 miles on 7 gal on an old V8.

No it's not a BS claim. It's quite true. It's not hard to get 25mpg on the highway with a V8. They have lots of power at low RPMs. SUVs and trucks, thats a different story, they weight 6000lbs. But a camaro weighs about 4000, and is fairly aerodynamic compared to a truck.
My 4.0 gets like 25-27mpg on the freeway, so why cant a 4.6 or 5.7 aluminum block get 23?

It is exactly that. I took a ride in an SS once. 2000 Camaro SS with the Vettes hand-me-down motor. It had some power. But it has low end power, so when you are cruising at 60mph, it is at 1800RPM, barely above idling. While that Honda Civic that gets 35-40mpg is running at 3k RPM. V8 takes a small percentage of it's possible power to keep it moving, while a Civic takes 70% or more of the engines total power to keep it going at 60mph.
Plus with variable Cam timing, a DOHC 4.6 can get great mileage. I dont know much about the Camaro engine, but read my post on the first page.

V8's can get good highway mileage, but that's only part of it. Nobody stays on the highway forever, while some don't use it very much at all.

I would barely be driving on the highway. Maybe once a week max.

The SRT-4 just suits my needs. It's cheap and very fast for the price. I want something with low miles that'll last, and I can't get that from a Mustang GT in my price range. Parts are dirt cheap, and it can be made really fast for relatively cheap. 300 horsepower on the stock turbo can be had for under $1,000 and if you put on a big turbo these things can make some big numbers.

To add significant power to a Mustang, you're gonna have to supercharge it. $$$ that I don't have. A $150 wastegate for the SRT-4 will give it a big power boost, with a few supporting mods if you want to take the boost a lot higher. I think the record is around 330hp and 350ft lbs torque on the stock turbo. When the car only weighs 2900lbs, that'll move you.

Sure RWD would be nice, but I don't really need it. There are guys who run 11s with their Neon "turds". If I found a good deal on a 5th gen Mustang GT of course I'd jump on it, but they're expensive, and I don't really want a 4th gen.

And again, I'm not even considering that Eclipse. I just thought it was funny.

What's that?

IMG_1725.jpg

Back
Top Bottom