So, I need a new hard drive.

J03

~~~~~~~~
OK, So I currently have:

x1 Hitachi Deskstar 160GB for O/S and Software Installations (About 60GB of this drive is used)
x1 WD Caviar 160GB for Documents, Photo's and Torrent downloads (About 120GB of this drive has been used on this drive. But it is filling uppp!)

x1 40GB IDE drive for source code.. but that doesn't matter.

My Hitachi Deskstar is giving up the ghost, so to speak. I knew that this was going to happen (so i have backups of the odd file that snook it's way onto the wrong hard drive). Today, It made a crunching-ish noise when my PC was booting - I knew some bad shi* was going down. I just got a BSOD Loop whilst trying to boot. I tried installing Ubuntu to the drive - it would format it.

Eh, I'm not that bothered. I backed up my important stuff.

But now, I need a new hard drive. I'm going to AVOID Hitachi, for various reasons.

I think that i'm going to get this drive, but it would be nice to have your advice first!

I would copy my files from the Western Digital over to this newer, larger capacity drive, and use the Western Digital as my O/S Drive.

What do you think?

that should work...I'm no pro, my friends copy stuff over to there other HD's all the time, nice price on that HD too... :D

I know it'll work, Im just wondering if that is the best choice.

Thanks, though! (I wont have to pay shipping either, Im picking it up from the shop :D)

Would have been £5~ for me.. I'd rather pay a little more and have them handle my hard drive well, than have them throw it round and knock years of it's life expectancy! :D

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II is a great drive for the price. Plus they're backed up by an excellent warranty and customer service.

Yeah, I like Both Seagate and Western Digital.

I dont like Hitachi though. I will be able to RMA the drive...

My brother had two Hitachi Deskstars in his rig - In mirrored RAID array.

Both disks failed. BOTH OF THEM! :O

Yea, we have a couple of 250GB Hitachi's and I'm not impressed with them. In my experiance, they tend to run hot and need adequate cooling to keep them happy. The one in my son's machine overheated and started throwing errors.

Back
Top Bottom