Some Processor Help

Holysky

Fully Optimized
I have been using intel bassed processors ever since i first used a pc. My only knowledge of CPUs are with Intel. Can i have a Quick explanation on how Amd's are better or worse. Example, What is the best for the money and one that will last for years. thanks;)

Each one will last for years. It depends on what you're using it for. AMD offer a better price to performance ratio. But, Intel offer better all around performance. AMD was king around the single core processor times. But, Intel has the advantage on the dual and multicores. Intel chips also run cooler than AMD chips.

There is no definitive answer as to which is better or worse, it all depends on the users own personal needs, budget etc.

I can explain some of the differences:
- AMD CPUs have a memory controller located within the CPU, which means the CPU can communicate directly with the memory without having to pass through the north bridge (= chipset). On an Intel platform, the memory controller is located in the north bridge, which means the CPU <-> memory data has to pass through the FSB and NB. This limits memory bandwidth and increases latencies.
- Until Core 2 was released in 2006, AMD held the performance crown for a long time. (Un)fortunately, the tables have turned, and the highest performance CPUs now have the Intel name on them. That's not to say AMD don't have any high end products, but if you want THE best of the best, you will have to go with Intel.
- Ummm, I'm running out of ideas here...
Intel chips also run cooler than AMD chips.
This is thrown around a lot, I really don't know who started it but it's not true.

i bet someone got that idea when someone said they can have to be kept cool because of the usual 65C Limit

Ok so what CPU Should i get and what MOBO

BTW can Nvidia Cards work with ATI MOBOS?

What ive heard is AMD used to be better than Intel for a while, then Intel all of a sudden got better than AMD. Ever since, Intel has been a little bit more expensive and better. AMD has been relatively cheaper...

Back
Top Bottom