Overclocking

Fruit6666

Beta member
Hey, im new to building computers but am going into collage for Computer Repair. I under stand individual parts and how to put a PC together, the only things im completely new to is when you first turn on the computer after putting it together properly. Also the term "Overclocking" seems to be used quite frequently on Newegg's customer reviews. I wonder if any of you guys would know a good website tutorial to better help teach me?

thx for all your help

Fruit :cool:

we have a member named nevermind1534 on this forum, he's very good @ over clocking I know him personally, PM him and he can help you...

we have a member named nevermind1534 on this forum, he's very good @ over clocking I know him personally, PM him and he can help you...

i think Cabbs, Worshipme, and A True Folder are great OC'ers too.

i think Cabbs, Worshipme, and A True Folder are great OC'ers too.

TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THEM yeah dude listen to Teny Cabbs Worshipme and A True Folder are pr0s here...not to mention you too Teny....

TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THEM yeah dude listen to Teny Cabbs Worshipme and A True Folder are pr0s here...not to mention you too Teny....

well, not as good as them when it comes to OC'ing, all i can do is teach them how to OC.
but the settings to get it to stable, and like which settings are safe or not, im not really good at them. Thats why my CPU is OC'ed that much.

@ OP, it depends on the platform you're running.

What are your components?

Before you start, you should know some of the basic rules though...

Intel platform:
- FSB x CPU multiplier = CPU frequency (Ex: 333MHz x 9 = 3000MHz = 3.0GHz)
- FSB x divider x 2 (DDR = Double Data Rate) = RAM frequency. (Ex: 333MHz x 2/1 x 2 = DDR 1333)

AMD platform:
- HT clock x CPU multiplier = CPU frequency.
- AMD platforms also use a divider but there is also the NB clock to take into account.

- You can only damage your components by increasing the voltages to ridiculous levels. Modern CPUs will shut down if the temperatures are too high. (This rule applies to both AMD and Intel platforms)
- Voltages left on auto will be increasing automatically, often too much, by the motherboard. This is why you should try and set all voltage manually if you can.
- You will need a temp monitoring program and a stress test as OS tools.
CoreTemp Prime95.
- Your multiplier will always be set at the max (assuming your multi is locked), so you will need to increase the FSB/HT clock to overclock. Increase in small jumps and test for stablity in between. Run the stress test for 5-10 min in between every jump and then for how ever long you want once you think you have reached your max overclock.
- Instability can usually be cured with an increase in Vcore, or NB voltage once things get a little bit more complicated, so once your stress test program brings up an error, re-enter the BIOS and increase the voltage very slightly and test again.

Back
Top Bottom