New PC

The thing is, ive never built a computer before. As i say, i've only ever fitted extra ram, literally plug it in.. and also my video card, which is the same thing, just plug it in, and screw it at back of case. I wouldnt know the first thing about mounting motherboards etc. or connecting power supplies :S Is it fairly easy to do? And does anyone know a fool-proof video i could watch to get an idea of it? lol

And no, i'm not from blackpool, live in manchester but yeah i'm a blackpool fan

Worshipme - Some good parts there, works out at just over £325 with a 750gig hard drive. Maybe a little big but hey :)

Don't I need to buy cooling stuff, like fans etc? And is there any difference between DVD-RW drives? Also, do i need to buy a new version of windows or can I do something so i use my old copy - note that it came with the PC

Ahhh love it man good blackpool fan hehe, where building such a fantastic ground. hope you come watch us.

yeah, season ticket holder! every home and away match.

Well, basically i was after a bit of advice, building a computer from scratch. considering ive never done it before, maybe a video tutorial or something that one of you guys know about? And a bit of help of which parts to get, which will last etc. would be cool. I'm gonna have a look and see what computer fairs are going on soon around manchester, and see what i can get. I want a gaming pc, and use this one for my work and my missus's shitty games. But, do i need to buy a new copy of windows? my current pc came with windows vista already installed so i have no disk for it

Well, basically i was after a bit of advice, building a computer from scratch. considering ive never done it before, maybe a video tutorial or something that one of you guys know about? And a bit of help of which parts to get, which will last etc. would be cool. I'm gonna have a look and see what computer fairs are going on soon around manchester, and see what i can get. I want a gaming pc, and use this one for my work and my missus's shitty games. But, do i need to buy a new copy of windows? my current pc came with windows vista already installed so i have no disk for it
It can seem a little intimidating, but once you get to it, it's really not that difficult, and most things are self explanatory.

Just read a couple of guides and ask a few questions here and you'll be fine.

Rule #1: If it doesn't fit there, it doesn't go there.
Rule #2: Don't rush.

If you follow these rules it will be pretty easy. The montherboard manual also explains some things, and like Worshipme said, there are guides out there to help you out.

Some tips:
-Mount the heatsink/fan and processor on the motherboard before you put it in.
-Mount case fans on case before you put motherboard in.
-Place the HDD and optical drives before you put the motherboard in.
-Power supply and video card should come last.
-Connect cables after you've put everything in, start with the case cables because some of them are tiny.
-When applying thermal paste, just place a little dab on the center, don't spread it like some guides tell you to. Once you've placed it in there, mount the heatsink/fan but don't screw it in. Give it a little twist left and right to spread the thermal paste.
-If your case comes with funky little additional things, I recommend you use them, some can be great cable management helpers!

I have tons of other things to say, but these are the basics.

Thanks for your help guys, i'm going to keep the money aside and look at as many guides as possible, make sure i know exactly what to do before i even look to buy anything. If i need any help i'll ask on here, and hopefully i know someone who knows a little about putting a pc together, who can help me! Thanks again lads

oh yeah - P.S. what do i do about windows?

Back
Top Bottom