New PC

Roblackpool

Baseband Member
I know you must get a lot of these posts, so in advance, i appologise!

I'm looking to buy/build a new PC. However, I have never built a PC in my life. The most I have ever done is modify my current PC slightly. I have installed an extra 2x 512mb RAM to double my RAM, and also fit in a 8800gts video card because the original one was just fitted onto the motherboard and was crap.

I know that if i buy the parts seperately, I can get them a damn site cheaper than if i buy an off-the-shelf desktop. Also, i've already got an 8800gts which i bought around a year ago and i think it is still pretty good by todays standards. So that would be an extra cost I wouldnt have to worry about.

I have been looking around, and seen that I can build a customised build on the mesh computers website, however again I would be buying a new video card etc. I'd like a pretty good gaming PC that will last. Whats my best course of action from here, are there good sites that will build a PC for me, maybe not a mainstream company?? And will i need to fork out for a new copy of windows? I'm totally new to this, my current PC is a packard bell :rolleyes:

thanks in advance for any help!

Hey, and no probs, these are the threads we like the most!

A few questions:
-What is your monitors native resolution?
-Do you overclock?
-What is your budget?
-Where are you in the world?

I have no idea about my native resolution! How do i find it out? On system properties it comes up with Generic PnP monitor, whatever that means. No idea tbh, it came with the PC. It's only 17".

I wouldnt know how to overclock, or exactly what it means - its bad isnt it? overheating your hardware or something..

I live in the UK, and my budget is around £500 i think. I could stretch it i guess, if i saved. In the end if i spend more now my thinking is that it will save me in the long term as i wont need to upgrade as much.

I have no idea about my native resolution! How do i find it out? On system properties it comes up with Generic PnP monitor, whatever that means. No idea tbh, it came with the PC. It's only 17".
Your native resolution is 1280x1024.
I wouldnt know how to overclock, or exactly what it means - its bad isnt it? overheating your hardware or something..
Some people consider it bad... It's basically pushing your hardware past the stock clock speeds. For example, my E3110 runs at 3.0GHz at stock, I have overclocked it to 4.1GHz. It depends on whether you want to put the time in to learn how. You'll also have to spend a little more on some coolers, higher speed memory etc.
I live in the UK, and my budget is around £500 i think. I could stretch it i guess, if i saved. In the end if i spend more now my thinking is that it will save me in the long term as i wont need to upgrade as much.
I think the best UK sites are probably www.Scan.co.uk, www.Ebuyer.com, www.Microdirect.co.uk and www.AriaPC.co.uk.

I'll give you a rough list of recommendations, then perhaps you could have a look through those sites and find the cheapest price for each component.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 6000+ X2
Motherboard: Gigabyte 780G
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 500W
HDD: Depends on how much space you need, just make sure it has a SATA interface.
Case: Cooler Master RC-690

The thing is, ive never built a computer before. As i say, i've only ever fitted extra ram, literally plug it in.. and also my video card, which is the same thing, just plug it in, and screw it at back of case. I wouldnt know the first thing about mounting motherboards etc. or connecting power supplies :S Is it fairly easy to do? And does anyone know a fool-proof video i could watch to get an idea of it? lol

And no, i'm not from blackpool, live in manchester but yeah i'm a blackpool fan

Worshipme - Some good parts there, works out at just over £325 with a 750gig hard drive. Maybe a little big but hey :)

Don't I need to buy cooling stuff, like fans etc? And is there any difference between DVD-RW drives? Also, do i need to buy a new version of windows or can I do something so i use my old copy - note that it came with the PC

Back
Top Bottom