How is my rig setup?

Jeffmeister

Solid State Member
Hey guys im new to the forum.

After having an extremely old unit (P4 3.0ghz, 6800 Ultra AGP, 3GB DDR) it finally gave out on me. It is either a bad CPU, GPU or Mobo.... and decided not to mess with it.

I ordered some new parts and within a week or so I should have my baby set up.

Right now im tight on cash so I ordered something that would be good now and easy to upgrade later!

AMD Athalon X2 5800+ 3.0GHZ 2 x 1mb L2 Cache
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5
4GB DDR2 800
AMD 790FX Motherboard
750w PSU

I plan to later upgrade to the AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition, and add another 4870 and Crossfire it. That should be a nice platform rig I say. What do you all think?

Comments appreciated, criticize me if necessary.

Nice, the 45nm Phenoms should be out soon, and your motherboard will support them, so that could make a decent upgrade.

Do you have a 790FX/SB750 board?

Hey guys im new to the forum.

After having an extremely old unit (P4 3.0ghz, 6800 Ultra AGP, 3GB DDR) it finally gave out on me. It is either a bad CPU, GPU or Mobo.... and decided not to mess with it.

I ordered some new parts and within a week or so I should have my baby set up.

Right now im tight on cash so I ordered something that would be good now and easy to upgrade later!

AMD Athalon X2 5800+ 3.0GHZ 2 x 1mb L2 Cache
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5
4GB DDR2 800
AMD 790FX Motherboard
750w PSU

I plan to later upgrade to the AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition, and add another 4870 and Crossfire it. That should be a nice platform rig I say. What do you all think?

Comments appreciated, criticize me if necessary.

Nice, the 45nm Phenoms should be out soon, and your motherboard will support them, so that could make a decent upgrade.

I'm not trying to be.. rude by replying that way! I'm just showing! :D

edit: I think that you meant An 790FX WITH whatever SB750 was.. Maybe.

Only a few of the 790FX board have the new SB750 south bridge. The new SB improves overclocking on Phenoms by A LOT, 300MHz-400MHz.

No its a 790FX/SB600 unfortunately. However Im not an overclocker so im not to worried.

What do you all recommend I do for ram right now as I havnt boughten that yet. Should I just buy some 800mhz right now or get something bigger like 1066 so that I dont have to upgrade when I get a better processor?

Get the 1066MHz. If I'm not mistaken the Phenoms should be able to use all of the speed.

One quick question: You call that set-up a quick one b/c you're short on cash? That's ridiculous. Look at my sig (for specs). THAT is a temporary computer.

To the asker if I already had the X2 5800+, yes I did.

Im gonna wait till the 45nm processor comes out so I can upgrade to that.

The real question I have is should I just get the 1066 RAM now with the X2 or wait till I have the quad.

Back
Top Bottom