Should i reformat?

You can alternatively pick up an external hard drive enclosure, and then just put the hard drive in the enclosure.

Don't run any executable files (.exe, .bat for example) and you should be okay. You should also have an antivirus such as Kaspersky which will do proactive scanning.

An enclosure will cost you about 15-30, depending where you go. You could pick one up at BestBuy, or order one from Newegg. Walmart might also have a few in stock, but I'm not completely sure on that one.

You could also save the money, and as someone else said, simply plug it into an existing computer and transfer the files over. If the other computer is say a MAC or a laptop though, the enclosure will be necessary and will be a good investment should this ever happen again.

Download a copy of Ubuntu LiveCD or Knoppix - this will let you get only the files you need and copy them onto some external source (flash drive, another CD if you have an extra CD Drive, external HD, network, etc) easily. or even upload to the web.

I've used this method many many times and it never fails me

Back
Top Bottom