Upgrading Memory

You won't see a difference between 2GB and 4GB on XP. Unless you have the 64-Bit. 2GB is more than enough. It wouldn't make a huge difference in gaming. You might only see a few frames increase IF you got gaming RAM.

You won't see a difference between 2GB and 4GB on XP. Unless you have the 64-Bit. 2GB is more than enough. It wouldn't make a huge difference in gaming. You might only see a few frames increase IF you got gaming RAM.

Just wondering, but what is gaming ram?

I have Windows XP
Pentium D CPU 3.00GHZ
2GB OF RAM
Diamond X1300-PCI 256MB

With that, I get 30-40 FPS playing my game. So... I'm trying to upgrade my computer a bit to get better FPS.

my video card is a bit outdated, so I ordered this (Cheap card, i'm not much of a gamer):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...A-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16814130341

It should come in 2-3 days. If it's still slow, I'll buy the extra ram. Do you guys think it's the video card or the ram that needs to be updated?

you say you want to upgrade your memory because of gaming, and then you say you're not much of a gamer...? dude, it's either or, not both, if you only play one game, then you're still a gamer...

the 8600GT will play some current games like COD4, but it won't blow you away performance wise, my son has a similar rig to yours (except the 8600GT is the 1GB version) and he plays COD4 on it, but COD4 looks way better on my computer, I guess it depends on what you'll accept with the visuals involved...

if your game still doesn't perform the way you want and is still slow after installing the 8600GT don't waste your money on more memory, you'll probably see very little or no difference, a decent video card is what you'll need to see a measurable difference, but you already bought the 8600GT, for $40-$50 more you could've gotten a good video card like a 8800GT which would have performed much better...

my advice would be to return the 8600GT without even opening up the box and ordering an 8800GT or even spending a little bit more and getting an ATI HD4850...

you say you want to upgrade your memory because of gaming, and then you say you're not much of a gamer...? dude, it's either or, not both, if you only play one game, then you're still a gamer...

When I said I'm not much of a gamer, I meant I don't play that much even though I still game. Dunno if that makes sense lol. Anyways, I have some money to spend so I just thought i would upgrade my computer a bit.

8800GT? Which one are you talking about? Can you link it? I only found one 8800GT with 512MB of memory. Is that better than the 1GB one I linked even with less memory? sorry for all the noob questions

Back
Top Bottom