Upgrading Memory

First, you need to determine whether the slowness is caused by the memory or not. Open task manager "ctrl+alt+del" and go to the performance tab. Under that tab, post the numbers you see under "Physical Memory".

Total:
Available:
System Cache:

Other random tid-bits about your system could be useful as well. You can access a general system profile by right clicking on "My Computer" and clicking properties. Then you can let me know what kind of processor you have, operating system, etc.

Make sure you get a kit that runs at 1.8V, such as this, and it will work.

Thanks a lot! I will get that =)

First, you need to determine whether the slowness is caused by the memory or not. Open task manager "ctrl+alt+del" and go to the performance tab. Under that tab, post the numbers you see under "Physical Memory".

Total:
Available:
System Cache:

Other random tid-bits about your system could be useful as well. You can access a general system profile by right clicking on "My Computer" and clicking properties. Then you can let me know what kind of processor you have, operating system, etc.

Total: 2078492
Aviable: 1510712
System Cache: 938312

Should i upgrade? I have 2GB of memory atm

Ya you're fine, something else is causing your computer to slow down. Go back into the performance tab and look under the "Totals" section and tell me how many Processes you have.

Ya you're fine, something else is causing your computer to slow down. Go back into the performance tab and look under the "Totals" section and tell me how many Processes you have.

Handles: 9649
Threads: 452
Process: 29

Well my computer isn't slow. I want to upgrade my memory because when I'm gaming, i only get around 30-40 fps. When I posted my info before, I didn't have the game up and running.

Ah I see. Well are you using XP or Vista?
What kind processor and Video card do you have?
And What games do you play?
Warhammer, Farcry 2 and pretty much games like that should run on fine with 2GB of ram on XP & 3GB would be gravy. Vista, get at least 3GB for sure...

Ah I see. Well are you using XP or Vista?
What kind processor and Video card do you have?
And What games do you play?
Warhammer, Farcry 2 and pretty much games like that should run on fine with 2GB of ram on XP & 3GB would be gravy. Vista, get at least 3GB for sure...

I have Windows XP
Pentium D CPU 3.00GHZ
2GB OF RAM
Diamond X1300-PCI 256MB

With that, I get 30-40 FPS playing my game. So... I'm trying to upgrade my computer a bit to get better FPS.

my video card is a bit outdated, so I ordered this (Cheap card, i'm not much of a gamer):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...A-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16814130341

It should come in 2-3 days. If it's still slow, I'll buy the extra ram. Do you guys think it's the video card or the ram that needs to be updated?

Everything is good except the X1300. Personally, I would've gone with a cheapo 8800, but that 8600 will be quite a step up. That should satisfy your performance needs..

Back
Top Bottom