Abit mobo beeping

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
My brother just bought a used Abit mobo along with a graphics card and a processor. I put it in the case and power it up. It posts the first time. But then when it went to boot anything, the power would just shut off and the code on the LED screen would be 99 (I couldn't figure out what this meant). I decided to check beep codes since I didn't have a speaker plugged in. It was a high/low continuous beep. I find that that beep is something with the processor. I reseat the processor and try again. Same. Next I don't remember what I did, but it decided it wanted to boot (onto my Linux CD), but the stupid beeping was still there. That's where I'm at now. There's apparently some type of error although all seems to be running and booting well now... I know unplugging the speaker will get rid of the beeps, but not the error that causes the beeps.

Help!?

Check to make sure the HSF fan in plugged into the FAN1 header. If the fan is working properly, you could enter the BIOS and disable the CPU fan warning.

It's plugged into the correct one, though I didn't think it really mattered. You think it's just a fan warning? Nothing to be worried about?

Temps are fine, and I just set defaults on the BIOS, so I'm thinking the voltages should be good right?

Here's what I found on it. It would be the Repeating High/Low. I don't have another processor that I can test on this board. Only thing I can think of is that I know that some of the pins on the motherboard that connect to the processor are slightly bent, i'd take something really small and patience to get them back.. I have had slightly bent pins before with no problem, so I didn't think much of it. By slightly, I mean really slightly. You can see they line up crooked to the others at an angle, but a top view wouldn't be noticeable.

im guessing you dont have the manual that tells you how to troubleshoot?
I would research on that "99"
or send an email to Abit

Nope, the person that sold it to my brother didn't give the manual, not even the I/O shield... They said it was working fine and was a good board. They just upgraded though.

I'll have to check it again to be sure on this, but I think it goes to code 99 even with a regular shutdown in Windows. It powers up fine after a regular shutdown. It no longer randomly powers off before boot. But it still has the beep code going.

I'll have to check it again to be sure on this, but I think it goes to code 99 even with a regular shutdown in Windows. It powers up fine after a regular shutdown. It no longer randomly powers off before boot. But it still has the beep code going.

From what I read, a 99 code means it was a complete shutdown with no error code attached. But the beeping is another story.

I just figured it out. The beeping was because error beeping was enabled on a fan connector with no fan plugged into it, therefore it was reading 0 RPM, so it freaked out, lol. No more beeping anyway. Thanks for your help to all that tried.

I guess it wen back to what Atomic Rooster said except it was a different fan header, lol.

Back
Top Bottom