Dual monitor question

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
I want to be able to play a game on one monitor and watch a video on my second monitor. A few new nvidia cards have this capability and i'm thinking it has to be the software controlling the video output.

Would anyone happen to know how to do this?

Thank you!

Umm, if you have two monitors hooked up, then I'm sure if you click dual monitor you can drag things on 1 monitor and drag the video player on the other

Can you really play a game and watch a video at the same time? I couldn't... Anyway, just configure the setting in Windows to have dual monitors. Have a video playing in one monitor (ideally the secondary one), and open up the game (which will open on the primary one). Have the game set on the same resolution as the Windows desktop is set to and there will be no resizing of the secondary monitor. Then you can play your game and watch a video at the same time.

To setup dual monitors in Windows, right click the desktop and hit Properties. Assuming you have both monitors connected, hit the settings tab and you will see 1 blue monitor and 1 grayed out and probably smaller monitor. Click the grayed out one and check "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." Hit apply and it should show up with something on it, change the resolution to whatever and hit ok. It will change the res and you are set.

There are not many games that have a Windowed Mode which is the first step (otherwise you keep sliding out of the game screen)

Next you'd have to have a beefy SLi or Crossfire setup to both game and watch a movie

When you get into properties as above, select dual view (iirc)

you don't NEED SLI or Xfire to do both. You can run it on a single card. However if the game is new, you won't have good performance in either application.

you don't NEED SLI or Xfire to do both. You can run it on a single card. However if the game is new, you won't have good performance in either application.
Well no you don't NEED them but game play and movie playback would be absolute crap with a single card even on the lowest resolutions.

Just thinking about Crysis and a HD movie running together would make most single cards cry.

lol

huh, i never got this to work.
Everytime i try to watch a movie, and open up a game, the monitor with the movie just stops and goes black. Then when i quit the game, it resumes the movie.

Back
Top Bottom