What Router Do I Need?

Joshua M. Smith

Beta member
Hello,

I used to be pretty good with this stuff, then technology left me behind!

I have a Centennial mobile broadband connection. The card is a Sierra Wireless 885.

I believe what I want to do is fairly simple:

I need a router that I can plug the card into and send, via wireless connection, a shared Internet connection to two laptops, both with wireless cards.

I'm looking at the MBR 1000, but it both costs more than I want to spend, and looks like overkill for my needs.

I'd like to keep the price under $200, preferably around $150 or lower. I know quality costs, but I would think there would be something out there that would be inexpensive simply because I'm not asking it to do a whole lot: I just want it to take a signal from the Centennial/Sierra 885 card and rebroadcast it in standard wireless for pickup by two laptops.

The only reason I'm not creating a p2p between the laptops is that they must be a bit further apart than I can get the wireless to broadcast. Otherwise I'd just make one into a server and share the connection that way.

Any nice, simple, inexpensive, Wi-Fi mobile broadband capable router suggestions for the specs given?

Thank you,

Josh

P.S. This is EDGE protocol on the mobile card. J.S.

what about a linksys wireless router? I have had one for about 3 years now and havent had a single problem with it. It has wireless capabilities plus it has 4 ethernet ports on the back of it if you would want to have any computers plugged in. Currently i have 5 computers that use the shared internet connection either by wireless connection or ethernet cable. Plus one of my brothers bought a ps3 and now he uses it for online gaming as well.

Back
Top Bottom