AMD CPU upgrade

tonewheel

Solid State Member
I have an hp desktop with an Athlon 64 x2 4800+ and have been nosing around at cpu upgrades and was just wondering if someone could tell me if it would really make a difference to upgrade.

Using cpuz i was able to find out that i have the 65nm brisbane.
The only info i get about the motherboard is that it is made by ECS and the model is NETTLE (socket AM2 940).

I found this and from what i can tell it seems like it would just be a matter of throwing it in and go... everything should just work.

Could someone let me know if that is the right one for the job and would i need a better cooling solution and/or power supply? I believe I have a generic 300w power supply. Also what kind of performance jump do you think going from a 4800 to a 6000 would have? The main attraction here would be for gaming so any advice would be great. :D

i think the 6000+ will give you a few FPS increase.
My friend have an 5000+ (2.6Ghz), and an 8800GT, and the 8800GT is bottlenecking his CPU.
so im assuming you will be alright with you 4800+, i had that CPU, its a really good CPU. I didnt get much increase when i got the Intel E7200, which supposedly beats the 6000+.
If you want to game, its best to invest in a good graphics card.

That should be a straight forward drop in upgrade.

There is no danger is just testing with your current PSU, if the system runs fine and doesn't freeze/reboot etc, there is no reason to get a new PSU.

The CPU comes with it's own cooler so you won't need any extra cooling.

Ok thanks for the reply. I guess i should have mentioned that i have an old 6800GS in there for graphics right now and have been looking mostly at the 4850 and maybe even the 4870 if i can find the money, as an upgrade.

I'm going to assume that if i do that then I would definatly need a new PS right?

i personally have held that 350W is the min for many years. my wife's computer is an older athlon 64 with an antec 380 basic power supply and it has been dependable for many years now. i have an antec 430W true power trio in my machine. i run 3 hard drives, a graphics card (7900GS) 2 gb ddr2, 2 120MM case fans, and a lite-on dvd-r drive. my system has been reliable as well. i love antec power supplies and i highly recommend them. spend a few extra bucks, and you get a much better PSU. once you buy a good power supply, you shouldn't have to replace it for a long time. the cheap ones dont last, the fans go bad and are a hastle to replace(your not really supposed to either). try internet pricing on antec supplies, newegg always has great deals.

Back
Top Bottom