Wireless Network Issues

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys
I have a netgear modem router and a wireless router. The wireless router hasn't got the internal modem, so it connects to the wired modem router. Unfortunately, i can't have the setup working properly.

The issue is that devices on the wired modem router cannot see devices that are connected to the wireless, and vice versa. I could connect them all to the wireless router (which has 4 ports for a cabled connection), but I get port forwarding issues, mainly with my torrent client. My main computer downloads via torrent relatively often, and it cannot open the port while connected to the wireless router. Even though my wired router might forward the port to the wireless router, and then the wireless router forwards to the main computer, it won't work.

I've fiddled with DHCP servers, turns out it only works when both are dhcp servers. I don't think this is an issue as there are no ip conflicts (different ip ranges).

I'd appreciate any assistance here.
thanks - rhys

should just be a case of using dhcp on the modem and turning it off on the wireless, so when they connect wirelessly they get an ip from the modem, which is the source of the internet, then setting up port forwarding on the wireless router www.portfordward.com
i cant see why that setup wouldnt work if the ports are forwarded correctly.

Thanks dude_se.
Before I do try it out, do I need to forward any ports via the modem?

-Rhys

Hmm, seems you were right.
Turning off the DHCP server on the wireless worked after all, I'm not sure what lead me to thinking it didn't work previously.

Anyway, it seems to be working fine now. Thanks very much!
-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom