problems with new ati radeon 4670 card

ad356

Solid State Member
i bought a new video card. i installed video card in computer. everything was working perfectly until i installed drivers. after i installed the drivers, and rebooted the computer the video display would go out when windows loaded. i would have video until the point where windows would load. the computer is not locked up becuase the hard drives continue to access even without video. i have been running a nivdia 7900 gs video card. this card has always worked well but its starting to get old. i wanted a graphics card that would work well with directx 10 without breaking the bank(i dont have a very big bank). im not happy with the new card at all. i have never had these problems with a video card, especailly a new one. the video card is a visiontek radeon 4670 1 gb. It DOES not have an additional power connector. i find that strange, my 7900 GS does. i tried reinstalling windows as well. anything else to try, i think this card is going back to best buy tomorrow.
SYSTEM DETAILS:
custom built system that I put together myself
athlon x2 4200+
2 gb ram ddr PC 5300+
430 watt antec true power power supply
1 80 gb hdd, 1 200 gb hdd.
pci express slot for video

reason why it doesnt need an extra power because its not an high end card.
do you hear sounds when the screen go blank? like the windows start up sound when you get logged into windows.
Maybe try installing an previous driver for it.

if i could get it to work, is is faster than my 7900 gs. or is it a waste of time? by the way i tried installing both the drivers that came with the card and the drives off of the ati website. i dont really have any choices beyond that. i wasnt listening for the windows startup sounds. i only have headphones hooked up to my computer so i dont always have them on. i will say that as soon as i put my old card back in the computer was running again. im getting really upset with this thing. since you that its not a real high end card, i would assume that my power supply is addiquate.

kind of hard to understand what you were saying, but i got the gist of it.

Is your Adapter fully inserted into the monitor and the Graphics card?
might sound silly, but i kind of had that problem, it wouldnt display anything before it logged me in, turns out that the adapter was loose, so i tightened it, and it works.

Im assuming that the graphics card is setting the Resolution too high.

EDIT- are you able to get into Safe Mode?

i have a decent viewsonic flatscreen 22" monitor that is capable of decent resolutions. i dont understand why a graphics card would set the resolution higher than a decent monitor would support.
-of course i checked to make sure the card was properly seated. i removed the card and put it back in the computer. this did not help
-i'm thinking maybe this card is defective. if i had another computer with a PCI-E slot i would try it on another computer. the only other computer my wife and i have is one equiped with a APG slot

Im thinking that i might take the card back tomorrow. they also had a 9600 GT 512 mb card for the same price. is this a better card? i might just get my money back for now.

i want a directx 10 card. i am a gamer so really low end entry level will not make me happy. i also dont have ALOT of money so i im probably stuck with mid level cards.

i think the 9600GT is better than the 4670.

are you using VGA? or DVI?
and when you said the screen goes blank windows loaded, do you mean before that Windows Emblem comes up? or when windows log you in?

EDIT - you know how the graphics card has 2 DVI connectors? did you try the other one?
The problem could be that the 4670 isnt fully supported yet because its a recent card.

When you said you installed the drivers from the CD and ATI site, which one did you install first? and did you completely removed the other one before installing the other one?

Back
Top Bottom