Future Build - Your Thoughts

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
Since I lovingly gave my Mom my computer when her motherboard went out in her Dell, I have decided to build a new computer. (it's been a few years since I built a computer, and it wasn't even for me) I don't play games at all, I mostly browse the Internet (constantly browse CF :D) and do homework. I tend to keep things business-like. So here's what I have come up with:

Rosewill R318-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply - Retail

XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB 5400 to 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM X2

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model MPF920 Black - OEM

Total Including Shipping comes out to $677.83. What do you think?

For the things you do, you don't need anything near specs like that. You could save a lot of money and still have something that will do everything you want it for and more. I'd say skip the Q6600, P43 and 8600GT, keep the 4GB of RAM and go with a 5400+ X2 and a 790GX.

if it was up to me, i would change the Foxconn Mobo, i dont like mATX boards.
change the PSU into a better quality one.
and avoid getting the 8600GT, and if you are going with the P43/45 series, go with ATI graphics

even if hes not gaming, its best to get an graphics card. Why?
because it helps the performance in your computer because it doesnt need the CPUs help, and its good for videos and stuff.

so im assuming you are going to get an C2D? because the board only supports C2D, and not C2Q
also, the Max RAM speed that board supports is 667mhz, and not 800mhz, so that means you would have to change your ram to 667mhz instead of 800mhz (6400). I think it might be harder to OC to get the 1:1 ratio if you wanted to.
On some tests, an 5:4 ratio is faster than 1:1 ratio, but the 1:1 give you better timings, and more stable your ram becomes.
the chipsets also seem kind of old.

How much are you planning to save up for your future build?

so im assuming you are going to get an C2D? because the board only supports C2D, and not C2Q
also, the Max RAM speed that board supports is 667mhz, and not 800mhz, so that means you would have to change your ram to 667mhz instead of 800mhz (6400). I think it might be harder to OC to get the 1:1 ratio if you wanted to.
On some tests, an 5:4 ratio is faster than 1:1 ratio, but the 1:1 give you better timings, and more stable your ram becomes.
the chipsets also seem kind of old.

How much are you planning to save up for your future build?

Well I am using $300 out of the money that the college gave me. Then I figure I might get a couple hundred for the computer I gave Mom since, well the one I got has a shot motherboard and had to put the hard drive in my computer as a second hard drive. I may try to weasel out a couple hundred more, so around $600-700.

After taking another look at that mobo, I saw that it only supports 4GB of RAM, so I found this mobo instead. Supports 8GB, ATX form factor, and supports C2D. (I feel that a C2Q is too much for what I need it for)

board looks alright.
Quick question... are you going to OC?

Back
Top Bottom