Bending the rules lol

Holysky

Fully Optimized
i am thinking of getting 64-bit vista home premium for my build and i have a few questions. can i run more thank 4GB of ram on it. it says it only reconizes 4gb but willthe performance still be there? i am using a old MOBO that only supports 2GB and i have 4GB in it. so what do i do?

It won't work. You can support A LOT of RAM on a 64-Bit OS. But, your motherboard can't. It wouldn't make a difference if you upgraded. You might as well stick with whatever you have now. Unless you buy a new motherboard.

i have 4GB in a 2GB system already.

and can i put in more than 4GB on 32-bit? willthe performance still be there???

I think you should spend the money to upgrade your motherboard if it only supports 2gb and you are running 4gb.

If your motherboard doesnt support it, the OS wont regonize it/utilize it. It will use the 2GB, but the EXTRA 2gb wont be used.

lol this is for a new build, my MOBO will be able to use up to 16GB, what i am asking is if i can use the performance of a 64-bit, into a 32-bit. will it just not reconzize it or will it just not use it?

what i am asking is if i can use the performance of a 64-bit, into a 32-bit. will it just not reconzize it or will it just not use it?

I don't quite understand your question.

A 64 bit OS can address everything your can fit into your motherboard

A 32 bit OS can only address 4GB - your graphics memory. For example, you have 4GB of RAM, and a HD 4850 512MB. 4GB - 512MB = 3.5GB. Only 3.5GB can be addressed.

I don't quite understand your question.

A 64 bit OS can address everything your can fit into your motherboard

A 32 bit OS can only address 4GB - your graphics memory. For example, you have 4GB of RAM, and a HD 4850 512MB. 4GB - 512MB = 3.5GB. Only 3.5GB can be addressed.

exactly.

and home premium vista 64bit can address a total of 16GB max.
You're questions seem abit comfusing...but i think worship layed it out nice and simple :)

ok, here it is

will i still get a performance boost if i have 8GB in a 32-bit version of vista

32-bit will only effectively recognize 4 GB of RAM minus your Video card memory. You will not get any effect by adding more than 4GB with a 32-bit operating system. However, 64-bit can address all the way up to 128GB of RAM. But 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor to achieve full performance. Any other questions?

Back
Top Bottom