Should I get a new CPU or more RAM first?

i want a laptop

In Runtime
OK, so I just got a new PC, well it is a very old pc but it was given to me for free so I can't complain. I don't game and just browse the web and such, so it doesn't need to be that great, but my luck never fails, I got unlucky.

Turns out I got the most outdated hardware that was short lived to begin with. The first ever Pentium 4, the socket 423, which if you type in socket 423 on ebay, you get like 20 results. As well as it uses RDRAM, more easily findable than socket 423 CPUs but ever still an outdated hardware technology that was a bust or so I have read.

So it has 128MB RAM right now and a 1.3GHz P4 CPU. A 1.9 ghz CPU would cost 30 dollars and another 512MB of ram would cost me 28 dollars.

So what should my first investment be? New RAM or a new CPU? I would be perfectly willing to overclock the 1.3ghz CPU I got right now, but after I get into the BIOS, there is no place to change the clock speed or anything like that, but if guys could give me some help on that as well that would be nice, but for that I might just start another thread on that subject...

So yeah...more RAM or a new CPU...and yes I know the best answer is both...well the best is ditch the system, but I will get both eventually, just want to know which one is first.

i would say ram. for what you will be using it...having the extra ram will go a long way for you. The cpu...you'll only notice if you are going to be running videos and such.

So my opinion....ram :)

I would go with the ram first. Both need updating that is a rather slow computer. Anyway yeah if you were to just update one I would go with the ram.

RAM would be a better investment, but RDRAM is not easy to come by. Good luck with your ventures.

thats what i was thinking. he's probably better off investing in a new pc...something cheap if he wants.

But then again, he did get it for free

OK I'll pick up more RAM, and will I even notice a 600MHZ increase in CPU speed if I get a new CPU? Will it make much of a difference?

Back
Top Bottom