Computer Giving Off SHOCK, HELP PLEASE.

Dizzy

Baseband Member
Alright I have an HP Pavillion Media Center PC. About a month ago or so I was syncing my iPhone, I went to grab it and it gave out a sudden shock around the chrome outer bezel that wasn't gentle it hurt enough to where I couldn't touch it. So I gently put a finger on the screen itself and disconnected it and I was able to touch it with no shock. I tapped the end of the cord [side that plugs into phone] while it was still plugged into the USB port and it shocked me, then I unplugged the cord completely and tapped the USB port itself an it shocked me. So I was under the impression that the USB ports were the problem, shortly coming to find out that it's not. About a week later the mixer that I ordered arrived [I record music on this computer] and I hooked up all of my recording equipment. During a session I noticed the same exact shock on the mixer itself, the only thing that didn't shock me on the mixer was the knobs. The mixer doesn't hook into the USB, it hooks into the record input that's built into the computer. I'm desperate to find out what's going on and what I can possibly do to fix this, so does anybody have any suggestions or know what's wrong? Also, can this do any damage to my recording equipment?

Is you computer connected to a three prong ac power source?
Make sure the ground is grounded on the plug in. (where it comes out of the wall)
Sure this can damage your stuff.

darroll

Yay faulty grounds, this problem is really a pain and often isn't related to the computer.

Is your computer plugged into a UPS? You may also want one of those cheap "electrical testers" which check for proper grounds and acceptable voltage levels.

Are you talking about a static shock or a constant buzzing shock when you touch it?

i'm pretty sure he's talking about a buzzing shock. if it was static shock..i don't see how it would happen so frequently and nor would it hurt really bad.

Probably a grounding problem...i would think.

Is you computer connected to a three prong ac power source?
Make sure the ground is grounded on the plug in. (where it comes out of the wall)
Sure this can damage your stuff.

darroll

Can you explain exactly what that means, ground is grounded on the plug.
And yes it's connected a three prong ac power source.

I Know what it is, same problem that I have man, when I feel the side of my laptop it really does bring a shock, i like it tho lol.

You have to many electronics plugged in on your plug adapter

Can you explain exactly what that means, ground is grounded on the plug.
And yes it's connected a three prong ac power source.

Try your computer on a different plug,or get an electrcian to look at your grounds.

I Know what it is, same problem that I have man, when I feel the side of my laptop it really does bring a shock, i like it tho lol.

You have to many electronics plugged in on your plug adapter

Mine isn't as light as yours, the shock that's giving off on mine is harsh to where you can't even touch it. But hm, I don't know what exactly to do then because everything that's plugged in IS used.

Back
Top Bottom