Bigger Inbox

Custom avatars, anyone??? Kinda like the IRC channels everybody is starting... it's all nice and good for about a week, then it's like who cares. I PM moderators a lot and have a fairly active PM inbox but including sent I still only delete about 10 a week. Just remember this, people who want to store PMs longer... that takes up space on the server. Depending on how many PMs are stored for how long, performance could be affected...

also david isnt running a data storage site if you wanna keep loads of pms long term there is a download PM's feature for a reason
Oh give me a break. I'm a member of several forums that give normal members a PM allowance of 1000, and they have three times the members and no performance issues. While 1000 may be a bit extreme, the point is a few extra PMs per member is not going to affect much. I'd say they are pretty much all less than 100kb, some shorter ones probably 10-20kb. Big deal. If the server can handle all the short, pointless posts people post here every day, it can handle a few messages.

Oh give me a break. I'm a member of several forums that give normal members a PM allowance of 1000, and they have three times the members and no performance issues. While 1000 may be a bit extreme, the point is a few extra PMs per member is not going to affect much. I'd say they are pretty much all less than 100kb, some shorter ones probably 10-20kb. Big deal. If the server can handle all the short, pointless posts people post here every day, it can handle a few messages.

I don't mind increasing the space a little but 1000 pm? who needs that many! If you want to keep all your old messages then use the download link to save then as a .csv

Trust me, they take up very little space.

mayby not singularly but if you get say 1 million of them then there will be space used
as above the message may only be 10kb on its own but if there are a million 10kb messages then you have 10million kb's which is roughly 10gb which makes a big impact to backups of the database etc even if the messages are 1kb each thats still 1gb which when transferring over the internet is a lot of data

if you want to keep messages long term whats wrong with clicking a few boxes then selecting a format and clicking download nothing so why the need for an increase when there is a system in place , just because a few people are too lazy to do that we should go ahead and increase the pm limit

i agree the effect on performance of the site by increasing it a bit will be negligible but that isnt the point i dont see a need for an increase in the PM limit

as above the message may only be 10kb on its own but if there are a million 10kb messages then you have 10million kb's which is roughly 10gb which makes a big impact to backups of the database etc even if the messages are 1kb each thats still 1gb which when transferring over the internet is a lot of data

Let's be honest here, we don't even have one million posts. What makes you think we'll have one million private messages?

Because no body deletes there messages, including the people with 0-2 posts and banned spammers. Thats 41,560 x 25 which equals approximately 1,038,000 if my calculations on my calculator is correct. lol

Back
Top Bottom