Computer stuck in 4-bit color after format and reinstallation of windows

sm40oztofreedom

Solid State Member
Hello all..my buddy's computer was very messed up so i suggested he formats and starts from scratch. He does not know a thing about computers but i walked him through the re-installation process.. everything worked fine except when he started up windows for the first time it was stuck in 4-bit color low resolution and there is no way to change it. his computer was custom made for cheap and im sure has some generic video card but he doesn't know what kind it is and im not there to help him except over the phone. right now it is not listing any video drivers and my thought is he just needs to download the right drivers and he will be fine..again its a freshly formatted machine so there should not be any problems..i do this all the time and have never encountered this. any help would be great im just wondering if there is any way to figure out what video card it is besides physically looking at it cause he doesn't know what hes looking for. thanks

Steve

no thats the prob..he got some random kid to build it who he isnt in contact with anymore a couple years back. the computer was like 200 bucks total so im sure its a very cheap card..can dxdiag figure it out..or any other way? im sure i could fix it if i was there but over the phone with someone who doesnt know anything bout computers is fustraiting

Get him to yank that case open and read out the lettering on the chip that the monitor is connected to. Not so hard, is it?

open up IE, and go to Windows Update.
the Update should find the display driver for his computer, and it should show the name.
You can either install the driver through windows update, or he can google it and find the drivers on the manufactures page.

im pretty sure windows update couldn't find anything..there has to be a way to recognize a card without opening the box

Back
Top Bottom