Possibly doing a case mod?

Ok,so at the moment i have a plain old black metal side panel,now im thinking of doing a mod,where i cut out parts of the case,to make it look like this (This is a very rough sketch):

diagram.png

Now some questions:

Would it be better/works for cooling?

Would my computer case fill up with dust?

It probably will get dusty. I don't know if air would flow that well if the whole side panel was open. Also, it might be a bit loud as any sound that is made in the case can be heard through the mesh. Just a thought.

For cooling I think it could help. It would gather more dust inside, especially if your room is not super clean. I think if you could put one or two fans blowing air out from the mesh it could help with the dust. But again, you wouldn't get too much.

That would look pretty neat, but I've always heard that a constant flow of air should be established inside a case.

This wouldn't be possible with your design, but then again, I might be mistaken. I'm sure it would definitely HELP with in-case temperatures, though.

And dust would also be more of a problem. ;)

it is very hard to cut holes in a computer sidepanel, I tried an PHAILED epicly.
I reccomend just using plexi glass

You actually want to mod out the front of the case. You want a "wind tunnel" effect. Cold air gets sucked in from the front, travels through the case and goes out the back. Cold air in and hot air out. I have 2 fans in the bottom left of my side panel. It came that way when I bought the case. But, they do help with cooling the graphic card and the PCI cards, as well. Since hot air rises. A fan to throw out air in the top of the case is nice. A mesh would be a bad idea. It would help with air flow. But, you would have a lot of dust building up fast. A mesh would also ruin the airflow in the case. Since air can escape out of the side. That is bad because that involves both hot and cold air.

It would be nice to know what case you have.

And it's not like dust is permanent, you can blow it out with can of compressed air or an air compressor.

There's also such a thing as fan filters. If you're cheap panty hose works too.

It's just too troublesome. Why clean your computer case every 2 weeks? It's just unnecessary and time consuming. Send me pictures of your case and I'll draw you up some ideas.

Fan filters aren't perfect. You still have to clean the filters out or replace them. If his whole side panel is mesh. He's going to have to clean it out quite often.

Back
Top Bottom