Bigger Inbox

changes have been made, but they are usually forgotten. Anyone remember the demand for the review sub-section? Seeing the overall lack of activity i'm pretty sure most of you have forgotten it. Kind of a waste now wasn't it?

Custom avatars, anyone??? Kinda like the IRC channels everybody is starting... it's all nice and good for about a week, then it's like who cares. I PM moderators a lot and have a fairly active PM inbox but including sent I still only delete about 10 a week. Just remember this, people who want to store PMs longer... that takes up space on the server. Depending on how many PMs are stored for how long, performance could be affected...

Custom avatars, anyone??? Kinda like the IRC channels everybody is starting... it's all nice and good for about a week, then it's like who cares. I PM moderators a lot and have a fairly active PM inbox but including sent I still only delete about 10 a week. Just remember this, people who want to store PMs longer... that takes up space on the server. Depending on how many PMs are stored for how long, performance could be affected...

also david isnt running a data storage site if you wanna keep loads of pms long term there is a download PM's feature for a reason

Just remember this, people who want to store PMs longer... that takes up space on the server. Depending on how many PMs are stored for how long, performance could be affected...
These are text files, not media files.

These are text files, not media files.

That may be true, but doesn't 500 sheets of paper turn into a ream? The way I see it, this forum is just shy of 800,000 posts, over 74,000 threads, and 41,500 members, many are inactive and taking up space. This forum has a nice sized database.

Is there a way to delete old threads? There's a rule not to bring old threads back, so why not delete them? I changed my settings so to only show threads from the past week. I think those are the only threads that need to be kept. Also, I only read the first page. I only go to the second page on the software/hardware and it has to be because the first page is filled of unread threads since last logged on and I like to be able to help everyone. I would like more space on the inbox, but it's not necessary. I do feel, however, that the time limit needs to be reduced, by 4 minutes.

Is there a way to delete old threads? There's a rule not to bring old threads back, so why not delete them?

Easy. reference. A lot of the good guides and info threads we have are well over a year old. Take a look at all the guides and linked threads in the general hard/software section. Do you really want all that to be shot down the drain?

Yeah we can delete like 100,000 posts that will free up like 200mbs.... Plus delete year old account spammers. Another 50Kb there... lol

Text files take up A LOT of space

Don't forget everybody's bloody custom avatars that reside on the server. That takes up a lot of space as well.

Back
Top Bottom