upgrading advice for a new intel

tonewheel

Solid State Member
Hello all. I was scouting around looking at my computer specs and realized that i just might be able to squeeze a few more years of use out of her.

I have an intel 945GPM mobo with a pentium D940 (which runs a 3.2Ghz stock)

From what i can tell the mobo is a socket 775 which could also facilitate a core 2 duo or maybe even a quad core???

I know my stuff is old but if anyone could let me know which processor i could upgrade to that would be a good compromise between performance and price and maybe keep it under $200. I don't really want to buy the baddest thing on the block more just looking for a year or two fix until i get a whole new comp.

Also i have a 3870 ati gpu and i think my main bottleneck when gaming is my cpu, especially with games like supreme commander

Also Also i am looking at specs right now and it seems that my mobo can only go up to 800Mhz FSB.... is that true or could i clock it up to 1066 somehow (I have never tried overclocking so don't really know what is and isn't overclockable, but i would like to try it)

Thanks

Unfortunately your motherboard does not support the Core line of processors, you will need a new motherboard if you want to upgrade.

You could get a decent motherboard and CPU if you still have $200 to spend:

Phenom 9600 (amazing price for this) + ASUS 780G.

Oh bother.... so i guess my machine is a dinosaur and it's just a matter of time before it is totally eclipsed. Oh well

I appreciate the quick reply but do you think that amd stuff you showed me would that be compatible with my current ram... I believe I have 4 gigs of 533Mhz(?) ddr2

Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 1066
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes

Yes, its compatible with your current RAM.

sweet well i guess i can salvage some of my old setup.

It looks like i'll have to build a new pc anyway so is there any real benefit to the amd quad over say a similarly priced intel dual core. I like to do alot of gaming but the real purpose of my rig is for multitrack audio recording and some photoshop

well as of now, a higher clocked Dual Core is better than an lower clocked Quad Core when in gaming.
But Far Cry 2 seems to benefit the Quads, but not by much. So i am assuming that Quads will be in gaming by around next year.
For everything else, a quad core is better.

Go with the AMD quad-core. For the main purpose it will be a lot better and it won't be bad for gaming. If I were you I would hold out a little more and just try to build a new rig.

hmm.. so the quads are better at pretty much everything except gaming as of now but that seems to be changing... i think i got it.

Now i just need to figure out if i want to do this now or hold off a bit and buy the better setup. Oh the choices

I recommended the 9600 because it's at such an amazing price. Only $119 for something that is almost as fast as the Q6600. The similarly priced Intel dual core would be the E7200 and I'd definitely take the Phenom over that.

Back
Top Bottom