what res can old CRTs use?

Holysky

Fully Optimized
i have a old crt and i was wondering if i could use it for gaming or if i should upgrade to a lcd??? thanks

an average old CRT is about 1024 x 768. At least all the CRT's i have used or seen which was about 7. I think they could achieve higher res, but it will be so small that you cant really read anything.

i would choose a new monitor if you are going to game.
You could use the CRT to see how that performs, and if you dont like it, then upgrade.
I upgraded mine to a LCD with an DVI cable, and it looks pretty nice when i game, and it had a higher response time than the CRTs i had used before.

When you get down to the nitty gritty, CRTs are better than LCDs for gaming, no question. Modern LCDs have improved, but CRTs are still better. The only reason LCDs are so popular is the reduced size is so much nicer.

i dont like the round CRTs, they are weird and hard to adjust the screen size when the auto thing doesnt work. The flat screen are pretty nice though, but i have a really small desk, so i cant use CRTs.

yea i have a flat one in the basement i will use for my 1000 dollar build lol

the lower the res, the lower the graphics card you will need.
From the benchmarks i have seen for Far Cry 2 (forgot where i saw it...)
a person that plays on 1280 x 1024 with an 8800GT can play on max settings and get about 20-40FPS, while some one that plays at 1680 x 1050 with an 8800GT gets about 10-20FPS on max settings, without AA of course.

Back
Top Bottom