computer jobs- did you do certification only w/ no school?

str8_6

Beta member
i know this is a massive repeat, but i dont think they covered all the questions i wanted to ask.

do you regret not going to school?
after getting your certification, how did you find a job with little to no experience in the field?

i'll have more questions, but i'm transitioning from automotive tech to computers. schooling will cost around $55k for a bachelors in CS. plus it'll take a good 4 years.

i hate paying for classes that i will forget or not need..like most of the general education portion. money isnt the issue...its the time it takes and the fact i'm paying for stupid useless extra classes.

my inlaw who got into computers after being a plumber is making $70k after he got his mcse. no schooling. i consider myself a good teacher so i was thinking of just concentrating/study/and pass my tests for the certs..but want to know to where to go from there. THANKS ALL!

I am looking forward to an answer to this question. I'm stuck with dropping out of school or not.

The only reason I go is so if my own business doesn't run well or I want to change jobs I can have a backup.

So I might stay in school...but however if I don't need it I wont.

I have my certifications and I know that I am having a hard time finding jobs without a completed degree. Most of the jobs want degree first, then certification preferred. So I would suggest getting the schooling complete, as the certifications aren't doing it for me without a degree (which I should have in the summer).

You're not required to go to school to work in the computer industry but it certainly helps. As long as you can secure a foot in the door somewhere and work your way up you can be successful. It just takes a lot of ambition.

I have my certifications and I know that I am having a hard time finding jobs without a completed degree. Most of the jobs want degree first, then certification preferred. So I would suggest getting the schooling complete, as the certifications aren't doing it for me without a degree (which I should have in the summer).

what are you certified in?

i know what you mean. i briefly looked at jobs in denver and almost ALL wanted a bachelors in CS. Yet most of the people i talk with that have theirs...say that only about 2 years was worth anything and the intern they went into helped 100x more.

what are you certified in?

i know what you mean. i briefly looked at jobs in denver and almost ALL wanted a bachelors in CS. Yet most of the people i talk with that have theirs...say that only about 2 years was worth anything and the intern they went into helped 100x more.

A+ and Network+

Yet most of the people i talk with that have theirs...say that only about 2 years was worth anything and the intern they went into helped 100x more.

They're right, real world experience counts for a lot more than your schooling. I don't really know the reason why employers want to see a CS degree on your resume. It doesn't even necessarily mean that you know more than someone without one. I think as long as you can prove that you have the knowledge that should be enough (which unfortunately is not the case).

My plans:

finish GCSE --> Get A-Levels in Maths, Physics, Biology and a Half in Chemistry (AS, Not A2) --> go to Cardiff University and do computer science for mobile and distributed systems

Yeah A+ and Networking+ seemed to be a waste of time in a way because no on really seems to care about that anymore.. But I did learn a lot of new stuff that I didn't know before so...

yeah..i think those are the more basic ones. what certs are you shooting for next tcracker?

im thinking the route i'll take is: a+/net+/ccna/ mcse and in the middle of all that i'll buy a compiler and start programming.

i honestly would rather pay someone $55k to teach me rather then $55k for 1/3 of classes or more that i dont need. that is actually my plan...i will just pay for a professional to teach me.

I think schooling just shows that you're dedicated to the field. plus the certificate looks great on the wall! lol

Back
Top Bottom