Video card: PNY 8800GT
Sound: Realtek HD Audio
PCI: Linksys wireless G card
HDD: Seagate SATA 140 GB 7200 RPM
Optical drive: I honestly have no clue, but it works
Power Supply: OCZ Gamestream 700 W PSU
Case: Antec 900

~Problem~
I got it all up and running just fine, got the BIOS flashed and all the latest drivers. I'm using Speedfan to monitor my temps, and the ASUS motherboard came with some software to automatically adjust the HSF to whatever parameters you set it to. It ran great the first few days, I was Idleing at ~22C and loading at ~30C. Now just today, I glance at speedfan and it's showing CPU: 120C... I was freaking out thinking the house was gonna blow up (kidding) but I checked my other temp monitor and it showed the same thing. I promptly restarted, and things were back in the 25-30C range. About an hour later, it started over... Keep in mind I haven't even opened the case the whole time, and I know how install a heatsink. I took it off and reapplied thermal paste just to be sure, that's not the problem. I'm wondering what the heck this is, a bad temp gauge? What else should I troubleshoot? Any thoughts are appreciated ;)

yeah...with a cpu at that temperature...your computer wouldn't be running for much longer...you'd be melting the metal on the chip LOL.

like Cabbs posted...check what the temps are using real temp...its probably just a faulty sensor.

OK guys, I tried the RealTemp thing, its showing my cpu at 26C which is the same as my other software. When I use the 'test sensors' utility, its showing 0 movement.... So this would lead me to believe that its a bad CPU sensor, in which case I guess my only option is to RMA the cpu. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll let everyone know what happens.

So this would lead me to believe that its a bad CPU sensor, in which case I guess my only option is to RMA the cpu. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll let everyone know what happens.
Is Real Temp reading 26°C under load or 120°C under load?

You have an E8400 I'm guessing, right? If so, those are known to have temperature sensor issues.

First off, feel the air blowing out of the case. You will be able to feel if the CPU is actually running that hot.

First off, feel the air blowing out of the case. You will be able to feel if the CPU is actually running that hot.
No, because if the CPU is actually running that hot, it's because there isn't a good enough transfer between the HSF base and the IHS, and the heat would not be transferred to the fins and would not be blown out the back.

No, because if the CPU is actually running that hot, it's because there isn't a good enough transfer between the HSF base and the IHS, and the heat would not be transferred to the fins and would not be blown out the back.

true but at 120C, there will be still a noticeable increase in heat being generated. Besides, as has been concluded already, it's very unlikely the sensor is reporting correctly anyway.

Back
Top Bottom