AMD CPU's don't have enough cache...

Pretty much bigger numbers are better, unless you're talking about latencies.

What CPU's are they, and what RAM?

CPU's:
QX9770 4 3.20 GHz 1600 MHz 12 MB 45nm
OR
QX9650 4 3.00 GHz 1333 MHz 12 MB 45nm
OR
Q9550 4 2.83 1333 12 MB 45nm

RAM
I'm getting DDR3 4gb...but I'm not sure what mhz/speed I should get on my RAM.

I have been looking at the AMD processors lately and the Intel ones as well and the processors seem to have good statistics, all except for the cache...Intel has a CPU with 12mb cache and AMD has one with only <4mb...
Like Cabbs said, AMD CPUs don't have the bottleneck of the FSB, and can already send data to and from the memory without going through the NB, so they don't need huge amounts of cache.
I'm getting DDR3 4gb...but I'm not sure what mhz/speed I should get on my RAM.
No point in DDR3 on an Intel FSB-based platform. The FSB will just bottleneck the extra bandwidth DDR3 can provide. For example, you're FSB is 400MHz (1600MHz quad pumped), that's DDR 800, any faster RAM would just be bottlenecked by the FSB.

Like Cabbs said, AMD CPUs don't have the bottleneck of the FSB, and can already send data to and from the memory without going through the NB, so they don't need huge amounts of cache.

No point in DDR3 on an Intel FSB-based platform. The FSB will just bottleneck the extra bandwidth DDR3 can provide. For example, you're FSB is 400MHz (1600MHz quad pumped), that's DDR 800, any faster RAM would just be bottlenecked by the FSB.

What do you mean "bottleneck" I've seen that word pretty often around here.

And what if I get a lower speed but still get DDR3 like 800mhz..the two reasons why I am getting DDR3 is that in the future I won't have to upgrade my mobo and the motherboard I want (Asus RAMPAGE EXTREME) only supports DDR3.

So can I get DDR3 with a lower speed?

What he means is that anything faster than DDR2 800 won't give you any performance benefit, you would need a higher FSB to make use of the faster RAM. I don't know much about DDR3 except that speeds and latencies are higher.

What he means is that anything faster than DDR2 800 won't give you any performance benefit, you would need a higher FSB to make use of the faster RAM. I don't know much about DDR3 except that speeds and latencies are higher.

Once again, thanks!

And what if I get a lower speed but still get DDR3 like 800mhz..the two reasons why I am getting DDR3 is that in the future I won't have to upgrade my mobo and the motherboard I want (Asus RAMPAGE EXTREME) only supports DDR3.
You will have to upgrade your motherboard, because there will be no new processors coming out which will support the LGA 775 socket.

You will have to upgrade your motherboard, because there will be no new processors coming out which will support the LGA 775 socket.

Aww man I was so looking forward to getting that mobo..RAMPAGE EXTREME is so sxc!!

So what socket should I get? The LGA775? Or should I wait until the new processors come out.

Back
Top Bottom