Building a new rig - help :D

Laxgoalie1

In Runtime
Hey guys, I want to build a new computer... BUT!! theres a catch, i live in switzerland.

Anyway things are quite a bit more expensive here, but I found quite a good site that is in english to get parts from. www.digitec.

Apparently I should be seeking the advice of one "Worshipme" cus he is a genius or somehting. =D

Anyway I'm looking to build a gaming computer for no more than 1000 swiss franks. 1 swiss frank is about 0.9 dollars. I already have a monitor and speakers, I need everything else though.

I was thinking about the radeon 4850Hd, and the E8400 Intel processor, but I'm a bit clueless as to which motherboard, and which ram. Since I don't really understand the speeds. Also, could someone make a reccomendation for a power supply, I'm not sure the wattage, and a good case as well. The sound card doesn't need to be anything special.

This site has many things that newegg does, just not as much, and a bit more expensive :p. Sooo would someone please help me out here =) Ill be forever grateful.

Can I give you a list of parts and you look up price for us in other Swiss websites?

Here's what I would go with:

-Motherboard: Asus/Gigabyte/DFI/Intel | Chipset: Intel X38/48 (these the ones for crossfire I think) or Intel P35/P45 (single PCI-E x16 slot).
-RAM: G.Skill/Corsair/OCZ 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2
-CPU: Intel C2D E8400/E8500/E8600 or Intel Xeon E3110. If you want Quad-core, Intel C2Q 6600
-PSU: Antec/FSB/PC Power & Cooling/Corsair/OCZ. Look for 500W+ for single GPU and 600W+ for dual GPU. Also look at total amps (A) on 12V rails. Try to get something with equal ratings on them and something that amounts to more than 50A.
-GPU: HD4850/HD4870 for resolutions higher than 1650x1080. Anything lower you can go with 8800GT/9800GTX+/GTX260. If you're plan on using SLI make sure to change the motherboard to an nVidia chipset. For Xfiring the Intel X38/X48.
-HDD: Try to get a hold of the Samsung Spinpoint F1. Fastest 7200RPM.
-HSF: Aim for a Thermaltake or a Xigmatek.
-OS: Windows Vista Home Premiu 64bit (OEM if you're short on cash by this time)

well im really trying to limit my choices to digitec.ch as they have everything in english, and their main store is located where I live. It seems like it is much easier to pick up items at the store, rather then have them directly delivered to you. But thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll try to put one together now.

Here's a list, I can't link to the product pages though. So you'll have to search for them on the site:

Processor: E8400 - CHF 209 The prices are a bit different on that site, but this is the best value compared to other products.
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro - 174 Crossfire support so you can add a HD 4850 for an upgrade later on.
Memory: Mushkin SP2-6400+ 2x2GB Kit, DDR2-800 - CHF 94
PSU: Hiper HPU-4M530, 530 Watt, ATX 2.2 - CHF 99. This is plenty enough for these components and Hiper are a reliable brand. (They're British and not currently available in the US so it doesn't matter if you've never heard of them)
GPU: Gainward HD 4850 Gainward Design, PCI-E 2.0, 512MB GDDR3 - CHF 199
Cheapest HD 4850 with the best cooler.
HDD: Samsung HD502IJ, F1, 7200rpm, 16MB, 500GB, SATA-II - CHF 85. I have this hard drive and it's very quiet and fast. Been running it for over a year with no problems.
Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP, inkl. Mesh-Gitter, Schwarz - CHF 110. I've seen this case in the flesh and it's very smart with great build quality.
Optical drive: Samsung WriteMaster 22x DVD±RW Writer, SATA, LS, black - CHF 35. Eh, it's an optical drive.

Total: CHF 1005.

Back
Top Bottom