Way to "spoof" computer into thinking CPU usage % is low?

i want a laptop

In Runtime
Hey, my friend's dad wanted me to try to repair his laptop. It is a Sony VAIO PCG-K37, it is from liek 05 or 04, so it is kind of old, or at least I think so, doesn't really matter.

He said it has a bad fan, he took it to someone but all they did was lubricate the fan bearing and that was only temporary. So I take it apart clean off all of the crappy while silicon thermal paste, and replace with arctic silver 5, doesn't make a difference. The fan still gets very loud decently quickly, and will go from like full blast to very quiet very irradically. And I don't want to get a new fan because you have to buy the whole heatsink and the fan and that is expensive.

So I looked into it, and I don't think it is a temperature problem, I think it is a CPU usage percentage problem.

So I have speedfan open, like 4% of the CPU is being used, fan is very quiet, I open up CPU burn in or Prime95, and I start a test, instantly the CPU usage goes to 100% and the fans go to full blast, I close out of the program, CPU usage goes down to like 4 or 5 or whatever idle is, fans go back to quiet.

There is no way that the temperature of the CPU goes up that high within like 1 second, and then back down to idle within another second, so I STRONLGY doubt that the fans are controlled thru temperature, I think they are controller thru CPU usage percentage.

So is there a way, that I can set the CPU usage to a static 5%, so the fans think the CPU is doing jack,and they spin the fans slow, but in reality, the CPU could be going 100% burning up....I just want to do this so to test to see if it really is based on % usage and not temps.

The laptop doesn't have a floppy disk, so I am going to have to format my USB drive as a bootable disk and boot from it, although I don't know if the laptop boots from USB drives, I know it will boot from a CD though, so I will try out something like that, to see if the motherboard controls fans via CPU usage, or if the OS does such as Windows.

Any thoughts?

Problem is that even if that is possible then the laptop will start to overheat if it is working hard and the fans are spinning slowly. Personally i would rather a noisy fan than a burnt processor. I would either replace the fan or put up with the noise

Check the bios for the fan settings. Sounds like it's set to aggressive mode. Any change in the cpu will rev the fans up to max. Set it to normal and make sure you save the bios settings on your way out.

Check the bios for the fan settings. Sounds like it's set to aggressive mode. Any change in the cpu will rev the fans up to max. Set it to normal and make sure you save the bios settings on your way out.

Agreed. Another way Is to just restore the whole bios to default. It'll set EVERYTHING to normal.

Back
Top Bottom