Flash drive is recognized, but not readable

BrianS

In Runtime
So I got a new 8GB flash drive and when I plug it into my computer it makes the sound signifying new hardware was attached. I then go into My Computer and it shows it as a Removable Disk (E: in my case). Under Type again it shows it as a removable Disk but under Size it is blank. It doesn't show Total Size or Free Space. When I try to open it up, I get an error saying "Please insert a dish into drive E:"

So obviously my computer is reading it like a CD drive where it is waiting for some physical media to be put into it. I have tried doing this on several machines and I get the same message all the time. Im guessing it is probably junk (there is nothing important on it anyways) but I would love to know if there is a way to fix it. Any ideas?

sounds like you might need to create a partition on it first.

right click my computer select Manage.
select disk management.

you should see the drive there, then right click and select to create a new partition.

No luck. WHen I go to manage the dirve, it is not listed. Only the C: an D: drives (both my hard drives). Below it I see "Disk 5 Removable (e:) No Media). When I right click it gives me the options to Change drive letters and paths..., Properties and Help. If I go to Properties/Volumes it shows:

Disk: Disk 5
Type: Removable (E:)
Partition style: Not Applicable
Capacity: 0 MB
Unallocated space: 0 MB
Reserved space: 0MB

Im guessing this drive is finished.

try to send it back, try another flash drive

I already got a replacement one, but I was thinking since they said to just pitch it I was playing around with it seeing if there is anything I could do to fix it. But I am guessing that is not possible.

Back
Top Bottom