Please Assist.

DrCross

Solid State Member
Hi guys sorry to disturb. Basically I've had a laptop now for nearly 11 months now and things have been working perfectly until about a month ago. I've been downloading a few torrents (( I ask gracefully that you don't give me a earful about downloading using torrents :D )) and have suddenly noticed a massive change in the way my computer runs. See, I usually was able to leave my computer to continue downloading while I popped out or went to work and by the time I'd come back the download was usually complete... but the problem now is after about an hour the system becomes inactive. The screen would go blank usually and all I'd have to do is move the mouse and I'd be able to carry on working. But now I move the mouse and the screen doesn't even come back on. I've deactivated the screen switching off and tried leaving it for about an hour only to come back to it and still I get nothing (( once again tried moving the mouse and the cursor won't move on the screen)). I've come to the conclusion that I might have to do a system restore.... which is annoying I know but I can't think of anything else. I have recently bought an external harddrive and am thinking of copying all my important files over to it (( 320GB western digital passport)) but again what if I copy over the suspected virus(es)/corrupt data to it? Is it going to seriously screw the external harddrive?

I know you guys probably need system information... If someone could please advise me on how to copy these details for you I'd be much obliged.

Kindest regards,

Cross

Is there nobody that can assist my problem?!?

What happens when you reboot? I seriously downloading a torrent will cause anything problems. You would have exactly have to open the file when it's downloaded for it to cause damage..

Is there any other massive change besides your screen not turning back on?

Reboot? I have the press the power key to shut it down and start it back up again. Tried using Hijack this to find the problem... thought I'd fixed it last night but when I tried accessing the internet from my desktop this morning once again I can't do anything.... that was at 8am... put my head down for 2 hours and woke up to see that the vista timer was still going around and the clock still said 8am.

Also the start up is alot slower than it used to be...

Product Name dv9590ea
Product Number GT434EA#ABU
Microprocessor 2.20 GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7500 featuring Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile processor technology
Microprocessor Cache Level 2 cache 4 MB
Memory 2048 MB (2 x 1024 MB)
Memory Max Up to 4 GB DDR2
Video Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M
Video Memory Up to 1023 MB (256 MB dedicated)
Hard Drive 320 GB (2 x 160 GB) (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive HD DVD ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer
Display 17" WXGA+ High Definition BrightView Widescreen (1440 x 900)
Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
Network Card Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface
Wireless Connectivity Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection

Bluetooth® wireless networking
Sound Altec Lansing® speakers

3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated
Keyboard Full size desktop keyboard (with separate numeric keypad layout)
Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad, volume control, mute buttons, 2 Quick Launch Buttons
PC Card Slots

* One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
* 3 USB 2.0
* 1 HDMI connector
* 1 VGA port
* 1 RJ-11 modem connector
* 1 RJ-45 ethernet connector
* S-video TV out
* 2 headphones-out
* 1 mic-in
* 1 IEEE 1394
* Remote control infrared port (remote optional)
* Cable docking connector

Dimensions 28.50 cm (L) x 39.60 cm (W) x 3.16 cm (min H) / 4.18 cm (max H)
Weight 3.55 kg (7.8 lbs)
Power

* 90 W AC Power Adapter
* 8-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

What's In The Box HP remote control

HP Pavilion WebCam with stereo Integrated Microphones

So basically, Windows is very unresponsive, and you can't really do anything?

Sounds like a software issue, but it could be hardware, you never know. I would back things up ASAP just in case.

For starters, boot into safe mode. Hopefully in safe mode things work a little better. If so, that is going to have me leaning toward software issues. How to boot into safe mode:
Restart your computer.
When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows Vista Advanced Boot Options.
Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow keys.
Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Vista Safe Mode.
When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Vista will enter Safe mode.
Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.

In safe mode, I want you to run full antivirus and antispyware scans, and report back with the results. Good luck :)

Okay so I ran it in safe mode... did all kinds of antispyware and antivirus scanning as well as spybot but got nothing... however when i ran AVG some of the files were locked so im thinking i have to do it as an administrator. Did that but still have issues.... going to back up all my data but will it affect my external harddrive?

I highly doubt it will affect your hard drive. Thats just storage.

I think your only option is to reformat after you back everything up. Sorry :/

If something is wrong after a reformat then I somethings gotta be up with the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom