Desktop cpu in a laptop

Rasto36620

Solid State Member
I have a dell 1525 with a 1.7GHz which is kinda low for running games and such. I have my old Emachine T6420 laying around collecting dust, I was wondering If I could take the AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 3400+ Processor (with AMD 64 technology)1
(2.20GHz, 1600MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache out of the emachine and put it into the laptop? Would it work? What are the risks?

Thanks for your time.

Nah man, you need a laptop processor. The processor in your eMachines will be a different socket than your laptop. Especially since a 1525 is a very new laptop and the eMachines (you say) is older. Cheers.

Running a desktop processor in a laptop is not a good idea. They run much hotter and will draw much more power shortening the average run time of your battery.

Nah man, you need a laptop processor. The processor in your eMachines will be a different socket than your laptop. Especially since a 1525 is a very new laptop and the eMachines (you say) is older. Cheers.

Hmmmm, you sure? The T6420 isn't that old. :(

Running a desktop processor in a laptop is not a good idea. They run much hotter and will draw much more power shortening the average run time of your battery.

It's plugged in 95% of the time at home, so battery life isn't an issue. Wouldn't a high quality laptop cooling pad solve the heat issue?

Well either way, the processor is most likely a different socket and as 01001010 and Atomic Rooster said, they will generate more heat. A laptop cooler won't help it. You need a mobile processor, plus battery life wouldn't be as much of a concern with a mobile processor versus a desktop processor. Some laptops and desktops share sockets (478, correct me if I am wrong) but they are still different.

Well either way, the processor is most likely a different socket and as 01001010 and Atomic Rooster said, they will generate more heat. A laptop cooler won't help it. You need a mobile processor, plus battery life wouldn't be as much of a concern with a mobile processor versus a desktop processor. Some laptops and desktops share sockets (478, correct me if I am wrong) but they are still different.

Well I guess that puts an end to my attempt of being cheap, lol. Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

they build quad cores in laptops
ive seen it
here is a link, its a beast of a laptop.......... okay
it is no longer a laptop its a MONSTER!
its a MONSTER!!!!
that thing would burn your nuts off!
thats just ridiculous to buy such a computer

Back
Top Bottom