I have a noobish question.....

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
I have a Dell that I want to upgrade to the company server. It's a LGA 775 socket on the motherboard and currently has a P4 processor in it. It doesn't say that it is designed for Xeon processors but there are a lot of LGA 775 processors that are Xeon. Question is: can I put any LGA 775 Xeon processor in my motherboard regardless if it is "designed" for a Xeon?

Thanx.

i dont think so, since your motherboard doesnt support it, and if you put the Xeon in it, then your computer wouldnt POST.

a motherboard can only support certain processors, if they dont support it, then theres nothing you can do but find another motherboard that supports that processor.
Like old board only supports P4, Dual Core, and Celeron, and the only way i can use an C2D was to get a new board or else it wouldnt post and i wouldve wasted my money.

We can try, but it's a Dell board so you know how Dell is about making their systems proprietary. :rolleyes:

Motherboard Model: Dell Inc. 0JC474
Chipset: Intel 915GV (Grantsdale)
Current Memory: 2GB
Max Memory: 2GB
Current Processor: Pentium 4 HT 3.06 GHz

According to Dell, only processors that are compatible are P4 and Celeron D. Thanks in advance.

a motherboard can only support certain processors, if they dont support it, then theres nothing you can do but find another motherboard that supports that processor.
Like old board only supports P4, Dual Core, and Celeron, and the only way i can use an C2D was to get a new board or else it wouldnt post and i wouldve wasted my money.

I think that's going to be the case with my system, especially since it is over 2 years old.

Go for it. Everything else should be compatible. If the Memory ,you have now, is DDR2, itll be even better!

Yeah, I just put the new memory in a few months back that supports up to 800 MHz. Plus I just dropped in a new 320 GB SATA2 hard drive. The cases I am looking at have around 4 5.25" drive bays and I was considering one of those hard drive enclosures that goes across 2 or 3 bays and RAIDs several hard drives.

Back
Top Bottom