Media Server?

Osak

Daemon Poster
Ok so I have some spare parts laying around and im wanting to make a media server the parts list is as follows:

CPU: Intel Q6600
RAM: 4gigs DDR2 6400
Videocards: 2x 8800GTX
Harddrives: one 300gig, one 80gig, one 1.5terabyte.

Now im going to setup this config with a mobo I have laying around . My question is, what OS would be best for serving my media? Im going to use it as a home server for all of my music/movies/projects. I'v never done anything like this so im a bit in the dark....

Thanks!

Could either get an OEM copy of Windows Media Center Edition 2005, or Windows Home Server. Though i have never used Home Server (but I am getting a copy with my partner program so I might check it out)

Definitely Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I haven't used it to much, but XP could be made as a media center if you just set it right...

Also, you have 2 8800GTX just laying around..... 4 gigs of ram laying around.... Dude If you have anymore spare parts laying around like that let me know....

Hmmm they both seem to fit the bill, I was also just reading that a program called "FreeNAS" would work great. The files on the server will only be accessed by my 2 computers.

Windows MCE is not what you want. It's a full OS, just with media streaming capabilities.

If you want a full out 24/7 server, get Windows Home Server. It'll do everything you want and more, and it's getting stellar reviews. I was planning on doing a Home Server build at one point just for the convenience of it, but ended up saving the cash toward a car.

Windows MCE is not what you want. It's a full OS, just with media streaming capabilities.

If you want a full out 24/7 server, get Windows Home Server. It'll do everything you want and more, and it's getting stellar reviews. I was planning on doing a Home Server build at one point just for the convenience of it, but ended up saving the cash toward a car.

Yea its going to be 24/7! Ill look into Windows Home Server , I think ill end up going with FreeNAS because you can beat free!

(Acts as if bittorrent doesn't exist. :p)

Back
Top Bottom