Trying to reformat a Dell Laptop

OTSS

In Runtime
How do I get into bios settings to boot from disc on a dell laptop. Del don't work. I am trying to reinstall Vista. I have a Home premium setup disc but a home basic cd key can I use it to install basic on this laptop?

I don't think CD Keys work like that. If it's for Basic then it only works on Basic. Additionally, for laptops, it's better to use the recovery disk as it also installs any necessary driver/software for certain laptop-exclusive operations.

I don't think CD Keys work like that. If it's for Basic then it only works on Basic. Additionally, for laptops, it's better to use the recovery disk as it also installs any necessary driver/software for certain laptop-exclusive operations.

My understanding is with Vista is you can use the same set of software to install any version. The version installed depends on the license key. This is something they rolled out called "Windows Anytime Upgrade" that started with Vista.

Yeah thats what I thought but can I reinstall it on a Dell laptop? and if so how? Same way as a desktop? I can't get into bios settings

on my dell xps they gave me some customized vista premium. well, it didnt have sp1, but came with all the dell drivers and stuff. the dvd they gave me was a vista premium sp1, just like you'd buy from the shops. i just had to boot from the dvd and install that way. theres no fancy recovery option.

Yeah I used my premium CD and it let me install basic vista. I used f2 to get to bios. I got it all up and running except now I need to install network drivers. I am going to check the dell site to see if they have all the drivers I need.

Should be able to go to dell.com and go to support and search by the service tag number of your laptop. Let me know if you hit any other glitches.

Back
Top Bottom