connecting a desktop to a laptops internet question

JDM96R

Solid State Member
Hi there.

I have just moved into a flat which is adjacent to one of my friends houses and they have wireless internet. I have a laptop and a desktop computer. Now then, my laptop is able to connect up to his internet with no troubles. What i want to know is, is there away that i can connect my desktop to this internet via my laptop somehow?

Yes there is a way. However it can get messy with using crossover cables. I would recommend that you just purchase one of those wireless doggles(the things that look like flash drives). Then just install the software and you should be able to connect wirelessly that way.

If you are feeling really ambitious you can buy a wireless card that connects to a PCI slot on the inside of your computer and has an antenna that sticks out the back. That is a more permanent solution, and costs a couple more dollars then the wireless doggle.

Cheers!

right no success.

Here is my situation clearly.

I have a laptop that is on my friends unsecured wireless network.
I have a desktop also. Now then when i got the desktop it was running really bad so i reformatted it. So the computer is fresh with nothing on it. I want to connect the desktop to the wireless network via my laptop.

I got hold of a crossover cable, connected the 2 computers together, and on my laptop i went into the laptops wireless network properties, went to advanced, and then ticked the box to enable sharing.

Thats all i really know what to do.
I still cant get any internet on my desktop.
Help!!!

Thanks

This can be done. All you have to do is this:
  • Right-click the "Wireless Network Connection" icon in the Network Connections window on your laptop.
  • Then select Properties.
  • Click the advanced tab.
  • Select the first check box http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_box under "Internet Connection Sharing."
  • De-Select the second one if it is checked.
  • In the "Home Network http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_network Connection" drop down menu select "Wireless Network Connection."

That should do it, let me know how it goes.

that should work. only other thing i can think of is to make sure the drivers are installed on the desktop, as you did reformat it.

I just moved into my dads house, and i got a "wireless doggle" (lol) and it works great, However I would get the best one you can find. I got mine at office max for $60.

(shouldn't you get wireless-n because wireless-g is being out dated?)

that should work. only other thing i can think of is to make sure the drivers are installed on the desktop, as you did reformat it.

well actually now that you say that, my resolution wont go more than 600 x 400 or something like that, and it says that my gpu is not working.
Does this sound like the drivers are not installed?

yes it does lol. sounds like its using generic vga video drivers.
possibly has no network drivers either.

No network drivers = no installed network protocols.

In English, if you don't have a driver, you won't be communicating. ;)

Back
Top Bottom