how to completely wipe out a hard drive?

dcjose201

Baseband Member
Im trying to re-install windows xp on a friends computer because i guess he must have deleted a file that windows needed in order to run and ive tried and repair it first put it still does not work. So then i decided to just wipe out the partition and reinstall windows but when it enters the installation phase of the install i get some message ( i dont remember what it is since i had put this project on hold for awhile due to school and work) and it would not let me continue installing windows. So i have decided to wipe out the hard drive completely and then install it. How would i go about doing this? Can you enter dos-mode when you turn the computer on? If so, how? Thanks in advance for the help!

The best way (if your computer actually has a floppy drive :eek:) is to go to www.bootdisk.com, download a Windows 98 Boot Disk Maker and use that to make a boot floppy. Then use fdisk to wipe out the partition. I find that sometimes my bootable CDs fail to boot, so I go ahead and create the partitions using fdisk, and convert them to NTFS later on. But if your bootable CD boots ok, just leave the hard drive unallocated. Hope this helps!

Im trying to re-install windows xp on a friends computer because i guess he must have deleted a file that windows needed in order to run and ive tried and repair it first put it still does not work. So then i decided to just wipe out the partition and reinstall windows but when it enters the installation phase of the install i get some message ( i dont remember what it is since i had put this project on hold for awhile due to school and work) and it would not let me continue installing windows. So i have decided to wipe out the hard drive completely and then install it. How would i go about doing this? Can you enter dos-mode when you turn the computer on? If so, how? Thanks in advance for the help!

What message did it say? If you are not able to reformat by just using the windows installation disk, the second easiest way would be to take out the hard drive and install it as a seconday drive to another computer, then simply reformat it. There is also Darik's Boot and Nuke program that will completely wipe out your hard drive.

I don't know what the original message was that showed up. I will try your suggestion, I didn't think of that. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom