help me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease

tinkerbell1108

Beta member
hiya everyone, im new, i dont even no if i am in the right forum for my question, but im not the most computer literate person so please dont tell me off:eek: .
i recently had a present brought for me, it is a packard bell imedia 2215 desktop computer.excellent little machine however,
the computer came preinstalled with all the software. it came with a trial version of microsoft office home and student 2007. but it also came installed with the complete version of microsoft works SE 9, with word, excell, powerpoint etc included. when i go onto word or powerpoint etc i am asked for a product key. i do not have one and cannot find one, i have checked my tower, monitor etc for stickers, i havent got any info about it in the manual. i have been to the packard bell and microsoft vista website for help, but all i get to talk to is an automated machine. not much help. im really stuck because i need word to do coursework. any help please. sorry if i haven't included enough info. i think i have included everything though. thanks :)

Your trial (key word here TRIAL) Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 is your suite of apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook) ... not Microsoft Works.

Works is Microsoft's answer for OpenOffice which means ... it's Free. Works has a word processor, calendar ... etc. But it is not Word, PowerPoint, Excel or Outlook.

The reason it's asking you for a key is because you are attempting to activate Microsoft Office via opening Word, PowerPoint, Excel, or Outlook ... which is not Microsoft Works. You'll need to purchase the license for your version of Microsoft Office if those are the apps you prefer to use. The student version I think is around $100, but may be less. It's been a while since I last looked. Hope you find this helpful.

You kind of miss the point that the OP already has a legitimate copy of MS Works.

@OP, uninstall the 2007 trial and it should allow you to access your Works programmes.

Didn't miss the point ... he was asking why he's getting a request for a key. Works will not ask for a key. Office does. He can access Works without uninstalling Office. What are you talking about???

Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office are two completely separate software apps. Uninstalling one does not affect the other. Works is FREE ... Office is NOT FREE.

OP seems confused with the difference, as do you. Office is Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Works is NOT those apps, but simpler word processer, spreadsheet, calendar apps. Again, Works is described as Microsoft's answer to OpenOffice ... meaning FREE and no need for serial key for activation of said product. Office, however, is not free. Therefore when you attempt to open an Office app for the first time, you'll be asked to provide a valid serial key to install and/or activate.

Mate, I'm not confused as to the difference between the two.

I read it that the op wanted to access the word processor etc in Works and (maybe incorrectly) assumed that Office 2007 was overriding works as the default .doc handling application when double clicking the document, in which case uninstalling Office 2007 would solve the issue.

EDIT: with a name like Tinkerbell do you really think the OP is a guy????

lol

:D

Office doesn't affect Works and vice versa.

when i go onto word or powerpoint etc i am asked for a product key.

Seems pretty clear that the OP is confusing Office and Works. Guess the kicker here for me is that Works doesn't not have an app equivalent to PowerPoint, let alone one called "PowerPoint". So if he's trying to open it ... seems obvious that he's trying to open Office PowerPoint.

And about the OP's name ... I've seen guys called worse. Excuse me for using the pronoun "He" at times. Were you afraid to use her/she when you instead used OP? What's the difference "mate"? You're pointing out that I ignored his/her name? I'll point out that you ignored pretty much the first 2 posts then. LOL ha ha & hee hee

fair enough, I've never used works since works 4 iirc, I see the op has been directed to Open Office in their other thread so i guess the point is moot as the problem should have been solved by Open office.

the problem should have been solved by Open office.

There are more than one solution to this problem. Directing a user to totally bail on software and go with something completely different ... certainly that's one way to go. That doesn't really SOLVE the problem of the need for a product key for a Microsoft product. Just gives a user a free option for office apps. OP didn't ask about other office apps options or free software. Bet the other thread you spoke of did ask that very question.

same question/s as here.

If the OP doesn't know what the difference is between trial and full or understand the need for keys and activation for software then they have a steep learning curve ahead.

You'll need to purchase the license for your version of Microsoft Office if those are the apps you prefer to use.

And if you notice ... my answer (which is the correct one to the OP's question) did allow the OP the opportunity to consider other options.

Back
Top Bottom