a way to find out?

i didnt really hear for clicks when i installed it.
I heard a loud click on one of the pins, then i heard a soft click on the opposite side, but then it sprung back up, so i unlocked light, pushed it in, and while it was in, i locked it, then the other two had soft clicks too, but they stayed in.
Afterwards, i just pushed on all 4 again to see if it got in, and it seems like it did.
Should i retry mounting it?
or should i just stop worrying, leave it alone, and just enjoy my computer for once?

you can try remounting it. remember you want to install it by pushing 2 cross pins at the same time. so like a cris-cross method, so it evenly sits on the CPU and doesn't damage it.
you can search on google with detailed instructions on how to install the push-pin heatsinks, i know you know how...but have a look...it might give you some useful tips :)

but ofcourse, you don't need too, those temperatures look perfectly fine...as in you don't need to worry about overheating.

i think i read about every problem/every way to moung the HSF on the first 2 pages of Google.
and none of them actually helps.
I think its funny on the "How to Install 775" made by intel.
The way he just pushed those pins seem so easy, he like didnt use any force.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEOd7nQbuQ
I wish it was that easy, maybe if i loosen up the pins on the heatsink.
My old P4 HSF push pins seems easier to install since i dismounted and mounted it back like 20 times. (i still couldnt figure out why it ran 60C on idle..)

with a new mobo and new heatsink, you will have to apply abit of pressure, more then you'd think. try it again...line it up...and push on the pins until you hear the "click". once all four click in, then repeat the process just to make sure they are all secure.

I heard a loud click on one of the pins, then i heard a soft click on the opposite side, but then it sprung back up, so i unlocked light, pushed it in, and while it was in, i locked it, then the other two had soft clicks too, but they stayed in.
You don't turn them once you have pushed down. Before you install your cooler, turn the pins in the opposite direction of the arrows, then push down. To unlock and remove the cooler, turn the pins.

I pushed all four down at once. Did it for me! I think the problem is, that if you push one down, then it levers on the socket/cpu...

You don't turn them once you have pushed down. Before you install your cooler, turn the pins in the opposite direction of the arrows, then push down. To unlock and remove the cooler, turn the pins.

i know, but the opposite of the first pin i pushed wouldnt go in, so i unlocked the one that wouldnt go in, and pushed it in, and when it was in, i turned it into the lock position, which was easier than pushing it in while in locked position. I dont know if it is safe or not though. But so far, it seems pretty secure.

The real problem with the pushpins imo (apart from them letting go) is repeated reseating, if you're an overclocker or someone who mounts a heatsink more than a couple of times you'll find that eventually the push pins no longer hold due to wear.

I used push pins, and I can say I'm glad to be rid of them. But I do miss not having the remove the motherboard every time.

Back
Top Bottom