Weird Problem

footylegends

Beta member
hey guys

got a bizarre prob. I have 2 internal dvd burners in my pc. all of a sudden they have stopped appearing when i go into 'my computer'.

The problem is although i can't see them anymore, i can still access them fine through the run command. and i am burning a dvd now with no issues whatsoever. so it seems they are working but not appearing in windows.

what's going on? how can i fix it? is there a way to create a shortcut in 'my computer'??

cheers

do this:

start --> controle pannel --> system (under classic view) (or alternately to those three commands, right click on the my computer icon on your desktop and then choose properties) --> click the hardware tab on top--> click device manager button--> find the "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" heading (do not expand)--> right click and choose "scan for hardware updates."

repost if that doesn't work.

if it does work, expand the dvd / cd rom heading, right click each dvd drive and choose "update drivers." make sure you have an active internet connection when you do that.

hey playedspades, thanks for posting

tried what you said, still no luck

i can see the dvd drives in device manager though i cant access them in my computer still

Hey footy, I've seen this problem many times, and 9 out of 10 times this little registry fix solves the problem.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), delete both UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

Note: One or the other may not exist, but which ever does, delete!

Thanks guys ...

Still having the issues ...

jonathansantos - your step 5 says 5. In the right pane (topic area), delete both UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

Unfortunately I don't have either of those filters there. It has default, class, enumproppages32, icon, installer32, noinstallclass, silentinstall and troubleshooter-0

But in saying that, a few colums over in 'data', it has dvd-cdrom drives and cdrom in the rows of default and class respectively

Oh yeah, does itunes have any effect on this ... i downloaded the latest one recently and i think since then its not been good??

Cheers

Oh yeah, using Microsoft XP Pro edition

Back
Top Bottom