Block a computer fro connection to my wireless internet!

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I think someone near my hose my be using my wireless internet. I went to "Network" on the start menu (vista), it shows all devices on my network. I have my laptop, my desktop, bt home hub, but then another computer called "THOMSON". Is this someone else using my internet. Its strage because the BT Home HUB had a WEP Key, so if it really is another persons computer, I guess they hacked their way in - probably using linux. Does anyone know how I can block this computer, or if (unlikely) "THOMSON" is actually something to do with my hardware or software, thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this computer "THOMSON" is not always on my network, it is on a lot of the time, suggesting that this is actualy a person using my internet for free.

I think someone near my hose my be using my wireless internet. I went to "Network" on the start menu (vista), it shows all devices on my network. I have my laptop, my desktop, bt home hub, but then another computer called "THOMSON". Is this someone else using my internet. Its strage because the BT Home HUB had a WEP Key, so if it really is another persons computer, I guess they hacked their way in - probably using linux. Does anyone know how I can block this computer, or if (unlikely) "THOMSON" is actually something to do with my hardware or software, thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this computer "THOMSON" is not always on my network, it is on a lot of the time, suggesting that this is actualy a person using my internet for free.

For One linux doesnt make it easier to hack anyones computer.

And I would suggest changing your password to something a little more harder. Make it was numbers and letters.

My password is something like this - 02bOb45.
Use capital letters, and numbers. Makes it harder for someone to figure the password out.

Also, I do believe, on a wireless network you can make it so it asks for the password everytime you (or someone else) connects to the internet.

Change the password, then change it to ask everytime you connect. Next time "thomson" connects, he/she wont know the password.

Also, Do you have a firewall of some sort?

For One linux doesnt make it easier to hack anyones computer.

And I would suggest changing your password to something a little more harder. Make it was numbers and letters.

There, in my experience, more hacking tools available for linux.. So you could say that it IS easier to hack somone computer with linux.

if you could catch them on your network
see if you cant find out what their Mac Tag (or something like that)
you can config the router to block just that pc
if it has that kind of tag
or
just reset the blasted thing
lock it down tighter then a 10 ton brick on top of anything
and use a thumb stick that would contain the key for accessing the network

Keys are too easy to figure out. Go in to the dhcp screen in the router. If he's on get his mac. Go to the filtering rules and set it to deny access. Add the mac to the list and make sure you click save. Reboot the router. Next time he tries to drop in he'll be blocked.
You can do the mac filtering back wards from that. Take all the mac numbers from all of the computers you have on your net and do this.
Go to the filtering rules and set to allow only these macs.
Add in all the mac numbers.
Go to back to the dhcp and assign a mac to an IP address that is inside the pool.
Make sure you click save as you go along. Otherwise when you move from section to section in the router set up it doesn't remember the settings.

I do the allow on my setup due to it's sensitive nature. Only the computers on my net that I install get in.

i kinda thought that you could do it that way
just wasnt sure on how to go about doing it

RE:I think someone near my hose my be using my wireless internet. I went to "Network" on the start menu (vista), it shows all devices on my network. I have my laptop, my desktop, bt home hub, but then another computer called "THOMSON". Is this someone else using my internet. Its strage because the BT Home HUB had a WEP Key, so if it really is another persons computer, I guess they hacked their way in - probably using linux. Does anyone know how I can block this computer, or if (unlikely) "THOMSON" is actually something to do with my hardware or software, thanks.

Well..regarding "THOMSON"..

I spoke to BT about this issue myself and was told it was to enable them to remote access my computer if I need help repairing or configuring my Hub :>

Back
Top Bottom