Need help/confirmation of this build

Well, I have a Linksys WUSB54Gv2 Wireless-G USB Network Adapter from before, would that work fine? Also, although it is a bit old, could it still work with Vista 64-bit OS?

if You gona play online games than Your internet bandwidht will be a limiting factor. I don't think You have a connection that would fully use full ~50Mbit speed of usual wifi stuff.
(say.. a 20Mbit internet acces is verry fast, I'm good with a normal 8Mbit one. And my pal plays WoW with 4 Mbit.. all much slower than the wi-fi speeds)

Uhh, well if i used a wireless G adapter as listed above, could i still game online well? Also, do you need a wireless N router to use a wireless N adapter?

I don't see what's so hard about push pins on the stock heat sink. Just make sure they aren't in the unlocked position and push them in.

I still don't like them though.

As everyone else here said, Wireless is not for gaming.

I looked up that USB wireless adapter and found that even the v4(Which sounds like the version number, so I believe its version 4) does not like to work with Vista 64Bit. I also believe it only has XP drivers as well.

If you want to game with this computer it would be best to hard wire it with Ethernet or get a pretty expensive PCI one. The problem with Wireless networking is that the ping is bad. If it takes over 500ms to communicate with the sever its not good for gaming. I get(Verizon Fios here) a ping of 10ms on my gaming PC which is wired with Ethernet on Speedtest.net. My computer in my basement which has a wireless connection gets 200ms-1000ms.

Latency makes a big difference in gaming as well as upload speeds. Wireless also has bad upload speeds which is needed for gaming more than download speeds.
What computer are you using now? Is it wired with Ethernet or is it wireless? If its wireless try testing it to the closest location on speedtest.net and post the speeds you get including the latency.
Here's three tests on my Gaming computer(Ethernet wired):
333871848.png

323546692.png

Don't ask how I got this speed one day, its just on my record for my IP address:

This is my computer in my basement using a wireless PCI card:
333870838.png

This is the same computer using a D-Link WUA-2340 USB wireless adapter:
287400056.png

Push pins are weird in my mind. My dad's computer uses a thermaltake HSF that using push pins and I think I broke one. Do you have to turn them to lock them?

well, seems pretty bad. I've been using a Fujitsu N series notebook and it's not very good.I've been using this for about a year or so? And i've been playing CS, WCIII and WoW and didnt seem too laggy or bad, but in WoW i did get some periodic lag spikes. I'm running a wireless network.

pls. ping Your router.
I'd be intrested in ping time.

in any decent wi-fi network You will be under 1 ms.
To do this, simply ping Your default gateway addres from a dos cmd.

if some pings take longer than 1,5 ms, and others are under 1 ms, than You have pocket loss in Your network. That can be becouse of weak signal.

In other cases.. well my pingtime to google.com with ethernet connection is 46-52 ms , and with my laptops shitty wi-fi its 48-55 ms.

So the difference is only 2-3 ms.
When I'm in bed, and batterys are charged I use the wi-fi connection.

off course for demanding games in a lan party wi-fi is not a solution.

But if You plan to play thourght internet, if You have a strong signal it won't mather too much.

Push pins are weird in my mind. My dad's computer uses a thermaltake HSF that using push pins and I think I broke one. Do you have to turn them to lock them?

before you install any of the pins, they have to be in locked position, then when you push down, you should hear a click noise.
I dont like push pins because i dont think that are that secure, and are a pain in the ass to install, i guess its harder when you get paranoid of breaking your new board with all these force you are using....

Back
Top Bottom